Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Cake ... or Cornbread


When two families unite, there are bound to be some differences in traditions. For the Fritzemeier clan, chili and cornbread usually appear together on winter menus. (It's just an easier version of the chili and cinnamon rolls that those-of-us-of-a-certain-age grew up with in the school cafeteria.)

Our son-in-law Eric was all for the combo. But he isn't sold on our version of cornbread. For years, I've used a cornbread recipe from The Trousdale United Methodist Church's 75th Anniversary Cookbook (1916-1991). Jill got a copy of the recipe in the cookbook I made for her and Eric before they got married in August.


But when Jill served it for the first time, Eric said, "This tastes more like cake!" (You will discover why when you see the recipe). Good husband that he is, he ate it willingly. But Jill has discovered a less cake-like version of cornbread which she'll be using in the future (I guess the honeymoon is over just 5 1/2 months in - just kidding, guys!!)

Randy likes this version just fine. He likes it with his chili. He also will eat it for breakfast with maple syrup or our Stafford United Methodist Women's apple butter.

Tippins Corn Bread
1 pkg. (1 layer) Jiffy corn bread mix
1 pkg (1 layer) Jiffy yellow cake mix (this is the small box)
1/3 cup milk
1/2 cup water
2 eggs
1/4 cup oil
Mix corn bread and cake mixes together. Mix together eggs, milk, water and oil. Add to cake mixes (usually I just dump all this together and mix). Mix well. Pour into 8- by 8-inch prepared baking pan. Bake 5 minutes at 400 degrees then 20 to 25 minutes at 350 degrees until it tests done.

NOTE: I usually use a regular size cake mix and then double everything else, including 2 Jiffy corn bread mixes. I usually put part in a square pan and the rest in a 13- by 9-inch pan. Then I freeze one to pull out on a busy day.

And, speaking of busy days, yesterday definitely qualified. Crock Pot to the rescue! I had to get my 4-mile walk done before I went to help Randy with cattle for a couple of hours. And by the time we got back to the house, I needed to hop in the shower so I could be ready to go to school to accompany middle school choir. (After wearing the lovely headband and the two hoods from yesterday, my hair was in dire need of a pick-me-up. Middle school kids don't need any excuses to make fun of people. My static-filled hair would definitely have qualified!)

It was sure great to walk in the house and smell that dinner was ready. I just added some baby carrots, sliced red pepper, cheese slices and apple slices and served with the chili and corn bread. It hit the spot!

No comments:

Post a Comment