Friday, October 8, 2010

Chocolate Toffee Delights

I love getting my new Taste of Home magazine. Sometimes it's just the inspiration I need to try something new. (And, if I'm honest, sometimes I just look at the pretty photos and make the same old thing!)

But, this time, the magazine arrived in my mailbox at just the right time. I had a Nu Lambda potluck, so it was the perfect time to try a new recipe. My friends don't mind being guinea pigs. (Neither does Randy, but never fear: He got the leftovers!)

The recipe was a success with my friends and also with the guys, who discovered them tucked into the lunches I took to the field. I know this recipe will make another appearance on the County Line. I think they would be the perfect addition to a holiday cookie tray, too ... pretty to look at and easy to do!

Enjoy!

Chocolate Toffee Delights

1 cup butter (no substitutes), softened
1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp. sugar, divided
3/4 tsp. almond extract
1/2 tsp. coconut extract
2 cups flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/2 cup flaked coconut
1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted and cooled
1 jar (12.25 oz.) caramel ice cream topping
3/4 cup dark chocolate chips

In a small bowl, cream butter and 1/2 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in extracts. Combine the flour, salt and baking powder. Gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.

Press into a greased 13- by 9-inch baking pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes. Prick crust with fork; sprinkle with remaining sugar. Bake 15 minutes longer or until set.

Meanwhile, place coconut and almonds in a food processor; cover and process until finely chopped. Transfer to a small bowl; stir in ice cream topping. Spread over crust. Bake for 5 to 10 minutes or until edges are bubbly. Cool on wire rack.

In a microwave, melt chocolate chips. Stir until smooth. Drizzle over caramel mixture. Let stand until chocolate is set. Cut into bars. Store in airtight container.

Makes 3 dozen. If cut that small, each bar equals 149 calories, 8 g fat, 13 mg cholesterol, 92 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchange: 1.5 fat, 1 starch.

No comments:

Post a Comment