Friday, April 1, 2011

No Foolin'! Chocolate Cobbler


It may sound like an April Fool's joke, but it's not. I've heard of peach cobbler. I've heard of blueberry cobbler. But chocolate cobbler? That was a new one to me.

But when I was looking for an alternative for my Mystery Mocha, a little investigation yielded this recipe for Chocolate Cobbler.

There are probably a few people in this world who don't like coffee. It's hard for me to relate to that, but neither of my kids likes it. (Where, oh where, did I go wrong?)

So when I was bringing dessert to a club meeting, I wanted to give my non-coffee-loving friends their own alternative. Randy was all for it because it meant more leftovers for him. He's all about leftovers - especially dessert leftovers.

This reminds me of the molten chocolate cakes that were all the rage a few years ago. But instead of having to bake them in individual ramekins, this recipe bakes in a square baking dish. That's much easier to transport to someone's house.

Enjoy! No foolin'!

Chocolate Cobbler
1 cup flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
7 tbsp. cocoa, divided
1 1/4 cups sugar, divided
1/2 cup milk
1/3 cup melted butter
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1 1/2 cups hot tap water

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Stir together the flour, baking powder, salt, 3 tablespoons of the cocoa and 3/4 cup of the white sugar. Reserve the remaining cocoa and sugar.

Stir in the milk, melted butter and vanilla to the first mixture. Mix until smooth.

Pour mixture into a greased 9-inch-square baking dish.

In a separate small bowl, mix the remaining 1/2 cup white sugar, brown sugar and remaining 4 tablespoons (1/4 cup) cocoa. Sprinkle this mixture evenly over the batter. Pour the hot tap water over all. DO NOT STIR!

Bake for about 40 minutes or until the center is set. Serve warm with ice cream or whipped topping.

***
Want a supper idea for this April Fool's Day? Tell your family you're serving Goop. It definitely tastes better than it sounds. Happy Weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment