Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Sun Rises on the Stafford County Fair!

Sunrise - July 15, 2014
The day is dawning on the 2014 edition of the Stafford County Fair. The 4-H foods judging starts at 9 AM, so I'll be out the door soon to make sure I have everything ready to go.

I took this photo yesterday morning around 6 AM, and I printed it around 6 PM to enter in a calendar contest in open class. Once a fair exhibitor, always a fair exhibitor, I guess.

Good luck to all the 4-Hers! And, as the season of county fairs revs up across Kansas, thanks to the county agents, fair board volunteers, 4-H leaders and the parents who help "make the best better" as they build community leaders through the 4-H program.

It's worth the investment.

8 comments:

  1. Enjoy your time at the County Fair, Kim. Let us know how you do with your pictures. It really does take a community of people to organize and work at the fair. There are so many behind the scenes things that make a fair work.

    I am judging Visual Arts for the 4-Hers. Will see how that goes as I have never done that before. The 4-H Adviser didn't seem worried about my lack of knowledge and thankful I am willing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am sure they are thrilled to have you involved, Robyn. Be careful ... now you're on the list of helpers! Ha!

      Delete
  2. INCREDIBLE shot. Good luck and have a great time. Hug B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, B! I was sure tired last night, but it all went well. My husband helped with the hog show this morning. We'll both go into town for the 4-H events tonight - including a demonstration event and the dog agility show - and to eat supper at the food stand.

      Delete
  3. Great picture! So happy you still support 4-H and enter items.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! If you figure the cost of the mount board and enlargements, it never pays. But I figure that it's good for the fair to have exhibits for people to look at.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful photo! Congratulations for entering it into your local fair. I hope you did well. Being a non American I had no idea what a 4-Her was ... lucky for me google tells me pretty easily. It sounds like an awesome program to be involved in.

    Local ag shows in Australia are declining which is very sad, but they seem to be thriving in the US. Is that the case, or only the bigger ones?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would say that Kansas still has its share of agriculture-based shows. Most counties in Kansas have a local fair, and many of them focus on 4-H exhibits, where 4-Hers show livestock, bake goods, bring flowers and plants, make posters, display arts and crafts, etc. As far as ag shows go, the 3i show (implements, irrigation and industry) just wrapped up last weekend in Dodge City, KS. There are several large ag shows in Kansas each year, which is fairly common for Great Plains states.

      Delete