Thursday, September 6, 2018

Zesty Ranch Beef Stroganoff

I admit it: I get in recipe ruts from time to time. I have go-to recipes that don't require a lot of thought. The ingredients are always available in my well-stocked fridge and pantry. So I go with the path of least resistance when it's 11 AM and I think, "What am I going to serve at noon?"

Tell me I'm not alone!

But that rut can also lead to "same old, same old" meals. It's not as if I don't have plenty of recipes to draw from. I have more cookbooks than anyone needs. And my pile of "to try" recipes from blogs, Facebook and other sources threatens to avalanche off my kitchen counter.

Again, please tell me I'm not alone!
So, recently, I dug into that "to try" pile and made Zesty Ranch Beef Stroganoff. I almost always have hamburger ready to brown, since that's the most abundant meat source in my freezer. The other ingredients were all on hand, too. (True confessions: The original recipe called for fresh mushrooms. While there are not many foods I dislike, mushrooms happen to make that list. So I skipped the mushrooms. Feel free to add them if you are a fan. Randy likes mushrooms, but around here, it's the cook's prerogative.)

Since it made a large casserole, I baked half and put half in a disposable foil pan for another day. That's always handy for busy days or if I'm going to be gone at noon. Instant meal for Randy!

Some fresh sliced tomatoes and Colorado sweet corn from Smith's Market in Hutchinson made for a complete summertime meal. Enjoy!
Zesty Ranch Beef Stroganoff

10 oz. wide egg noodles
1 1/2 pounds hamburger
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
1 can (14.5 oz.) chicken broth
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
1 packet ranch dressing mix (dry)
1/8 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 cup sour cream
1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese

Topping
2 tbsp. butter, melted
3/4 cup panko bread crumbs
1 tbsp. chopped fresh parsley (or 1 1/2 tsp. dried)
Pinch of salt and pepper

Cook noodles in salted water until done. Drain and set aside.

In a large saucepan, brown hamburger with garlic and onion. Cook until hamburger is browned. Drain fat.

Return to heat. Add flour and stir well. Stir in chicken broth, buttermilk and dry ranch seasoning. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.

Stir in sour cream, mozzarella cheese, salt and pepper. Toss hamburger mixture with cooked noodles.

Spoon into a greased 2-quart casserole or 9 X 13-inch baking pan.

For topping, combine all ingredients in a small bowl and toss together with fork. Sprinkle evenly over the top of the noodle mixture.

Bake at 350 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes until heated through and bubbly and topping is lightly browned.

The original recipe called for 8 ounces of fresh mushrooms. Since I don't like mushrooms, the cook's prerogative is to leave them out - whether Randy likes them or not.

6 comments:

  1. It looks delicious. I'd be adding mushrooms. I know how you feel re thinking, yet again, what will we be having this meal! I too collect lots of recipes from magazines etc and at that time, I'm all excited about cooking them but .....

    Our recipes are both in English but the ingredients sure don't read the same.

    Hamburger - mince
    Noodles - pasta
    Chicken broth - stock
    Dry ranch dressing mix - don't think I would find that on our supermarket shelves.

    I found it interesting that buttermilk was required.

    Lucky Randy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How interesting to learn some of the Aussie terminology! With both you and Farm-ily, I think it's interesting to see how alike we are but also explore some of our differences, too.

      Delete
    2. I too was wondering about the Dry Ranch dressing Helen!

      Delete
    3. The name brand one is Hidden Valley Ranch, but there are also store brands. It has dried garlic, dried onion, salt and other spices.

      Delete
  2. Oh thank you! I need another recipe. Definitely in a rut here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy trying recipes, but I guess I have to be in the mood!

      Delete