Wednesday, November 21, 2018

Let's Talk Turkey: A Fun Holiday Salad

It's been Camp Grandma and Grandpa at the County Line this week. With cattle to feed and move, Thanksgiving rolls to prepare and cats to pet ... just to name a few ..., there is no time for lengthy blog posts. But I thought this one was worth sharing before Thanksgiving, if you are looking for a way for the kids to help make your holiday table festive.

Kinley and Brooke loved putting these healthy salads together yesterday for dinner. And Great Grandpa and Grandma Moore even knew what we made without giving them any hints.

Gobble Me Up Thanksgiving Salad
From Family Fun
Apple
Orange or clementine
Bosc pear
Peanut butter or cream cheese
Mini chocolate chips
Cashews
Dried cranberry
Stick pretzels or dried apricot (see directions for explanation)

Cut apples and pears, taking out cores. Dip into a lemon-water mixture to help prevent browning. Separate orange or clementine sections.

Arrange the apple and orange slices to resemble turkey feathers. Lay a cored pear half on top, cut side down.

Use a dab of peanut butter or softened cream cheese to attach mini chocolate chip eyes, a cashew beak and a dried cranberry snood.

For turkey feet: The original directions call for using a dried apricot. Use scissors to halve a dried apricot, then snip small triangles from each half and tuck them under the pear to form the feet.

However, my dried apricots were past their prime. So we broke stick pretzels in half and placed them under the pear.

Happy Thanksgiving from The County Line! I'll be back soon ... after I recover from a week of cattle tasks, followed by a week of Grandma time. It's the perfect definition of highs and lows. I'll bet you can guess which was which! 

Blessings to all!

2 comments:

  1. So much to be thankful for in those two precious girls. Enjoy the high and I hope the work goes / has gone smoothly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Helen. I am still playing "catch up." I'll be back to writing when I have time. Randy just asked me "What are you doing this afternoon?" So, I'm guessing I'll be adding something to my to-do list!

      Delete