Tuesday, January 19, 2021

Through a Glass Dimly

 

After the Chiefs won their football game Sunday night, we drove to a pasture a couple of miles away to watch the sunset. It's a favorite location at dusk because of a windmill near the road. Who doesn't love a good windmill silhouette as a foreground for a beautiful sunset?

 

It was another gorgeous winter evening, and I did my usual take-too-many-photos-in-search-of-the-perfect-one routine.

But, as we were traveling back home, I took another glimpse of the scene through the passenger-side rearview mirror. It's cracked, so the view was definitely a different one than I'd been trying to capture as I looked westward and clicked both my regular camera and my phone's camera.


I had Randy stop so I could take a photo through the broken glass. A Bible verse flitted through my head, so I looked it up the next day. The King James Version of 1 Corinthians 13:12 says:

For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.

It's a familiar verse, but what does it really mean? I looked at the Amplified Bible translation ...

For now [in this time of imperfection] we see in a mirror dimly [a blurred reflection, a riddle, an enigma], but then [when the time of perfection comes we will see reality] face to face. Now I know in part [just in fragments], but then I will know fully, just as I have been fully known [by God].

... and the New Living Translation ...

Now we see things imperfectly, like puzzling reflections in a mirror, but then we will see everything with perfect clarity. All that I know now is partial and incomplete, but then I will know everything completely, just as God now knows me completely.

The rearview mirror view on a different evening in a different pickup from the driver's side

There's a presidential inauguration happening on Wednesday. Some of my friends are overjoyed. Others are mourning. And most are probably like me - tired of the fighting and the political maneuvering from both sides.

As I watch the news, I feel as though I'm seeing "through a glass dimly." I pray for people to find a clearer way - one without the agendas perpetuated by whatever media stream their "side" prefers.

I receive a daily devotional from the Great Plains conference of the United Methodist Church. Saturday's was by the Emporia State University campus minister Kurt Cooper. (Click here for his entire devotional.) In it, he talked about taking an intensive course called Theology, Civics and Civility while a student at Saint Paul School of Theology. The course challenged seminary students to ponder the intersections between the church, the political landscape and secular culture. 
 
 At the center of those discussions was what Christians know as The Golden Rule:

John 13:34-35

I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Among the other texts they considered was written just after the turn of the 18th Century by a young colonist named George Washington. He's still fairly well known (tongue firmly inserted in cheek), despite being the 1st in a line of U.S. Presidents who will grow to add a 46th this week.

President Washington adopted what became known as the 110 Rules of Civility, principles he used throughout his life to guide his style of leadership and his life. These 110 hand-written rules heightened his successful Presidency and contributed to the shape of the Office of President. 

The theology students adopted their 25 best suggestions for following the Rules of Civility today:
  • Let others go first.
  • People have names: Use them.
  • Consider everyone’s point of view; all voices have something to contribute.
  • Avoid generalizations and blanket statements.
  • Debate should end when the meeting is over — keep conversation in the room.
  • Consider your responses before acting — practice prudence.
  • Be conscious of one’s surroundings so as not to impose on others.
  • Be proactive in hospitality.
  • Acts of lying, cheating, stealing, coveting are uncivil.
  • Speak the truth in kindness when expounding a grievance.
  • Use language that uplifts rather than language that degrades.
  • Listen carefully to the words of others before distracting yourself with your own response.
  • If you take initiative, take responsibility.
  • Be willing to laugh at yourself and smile often.
  • Let insults go unheeded — Never kick a SKUNK.
  • No finger pointing, regardless of what finger you use.
  • Endeavor to raise standards rather than lower them.
  • Share all you can without resentment.
  • Make sure everyone understands the rules and customs that will be followed.
  • Play well with others — everyone gets a turn.
  • Challenge uncivil behavior.
  • Respect God’s creation: All life depends on it.
  • Recognize your own self worth and the value of others; we are all Children of God.
  • Pursue Physical, Emotional and Spiritual health and Wholeness.

It's a pretty good list, don't you think? I figure I can do a better job of putting them to practice. I figure we all can.

You see, we all come from different places, with different experiences and that colors our actions and reactions. I was reminded of that again as I witnessed a winter sunrise this past week.

So I wouldn't miss the show, I didn't clear the frost from my windshield. When I first arrived at my sunrise tree, the view to the east was somewhat obscured.
I got the full picture - or so I thought - as I stepped out of the car and pointed my camera east. But then I saw the western sky.
It looked totally different, but it was just as beautiful. If I'd only looked in one direction, I'd have missed part of the show. 

Perhaps it's a reminder to stop and think. Will we be colored by the positive? Or will the negative win the day? It truly is a matter of perspective, isn't it? It's kind of like the parable of the six blind men with the elephant, who touch the beast in different places and come up with wildly different impressions because of what they "see."

Looking north at sunset, January 17, 2021

It seems to me that our world could benefit from a look at different perspectives. No matter which side of the political aisle my friends claim, I would suggest there's validity in listening to another's point of view ... whether it's politics, race or even whether someone plans to wear a mask in public or not.

And isn't that the case with life? We get so focused on what's in front of us that we forget to take a breath and look around.

Some of the most beautiful things are found on the other side. 
Maybe it's the other side of the argument.
Maybe it's the other side of that bad mood.
Maybe it's the other side of sunset. 

 The "other side" of the sunset, October 25, 2018
 
Take a breath. Look around. Enjoy the entire view. Get a different perspective. You just might find beauty there.

Maybe our world could heal - at least a little bit - if we all were passionately on the quest for new perspectives. Worth a try?


A Time to Think

Every day we live is a priceless gift of God,
loaded with possibilities to learn something new,
to gain fresh insights. –Dale Evans Rogers, singer

A Time to Act

Encourage me God, to see the value in what I have.

A Time to Pray

Dear God, lead me through today with new insights and new hope.

From Guideposts email devotional

 

4 comments:

  1. I am always inspired when I take time to read your blog. Thanks, Kim.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate your kindness, Marty. Thank you.

      Delete
  2. Colourful skies filled with joy and hope for the morrow. Day break has brought hope for a safer world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's optimism in nature, if only we look.

      Delete