Thursday, September 29, 2022

Apple Butter Cookies

 

Apples + Fall = A Winning Equation.

Awhile ago, Susan texted me an Apple Butter Cookie recipe from Louisburg Cider Mill. She knows I love to bake cookies, and she thought they sounded good. Now that fall is just around the corner, I decided to give them a try.

They are reminiscent of a Snickerdoodle, but the finished cookie is a little softer because of the fruit butter in them. But that same fruit butter also gives them a lot of fall flavor.  

True confessions: I didn't use Louisburg Cider Mill Apple Butter. I used a variety I found at Glenn's Bulk Foods. 

And I couldn't help but think of all the Apple Butter that was made in the basement of the Stafford United Methodist Church over the years as we prepared for the United Methodist Women bazaar. I  always purchased multiple jars of the homemade apple butter, which we slathered on toast, rolls or biscuits or I turned into coffee cakes and other treats. I often used pint jars of apple butter for Christmas gifts, too. I miss that church lady-created spread. 

I think the Louisburg Cider Mill would be a fun field trip this fall. I might just pick up some more apple butter and other goodies!

Apple Butter Cookies
Adapted from Louisburg Cider Mill

1/2 cup butter, room temperature 
1/2 cup apple butter
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
3 cups flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
***
1 cup cinnamon sugar
 
Cream together butter, apple butter, and sugar. Mix in sugar, egg, and vanilla. Mix until well combined. In a medium bowl, combine cinnamon, flour, baking soda, and cream of tartar. Slowly add dry ingredients to butter mixture. Mix until dough forms.
 
Place into fridge and chill for 2 hours. 
 
When ready to bake: Preheat oven to 375º.  Using a cookie scoop to portion out cookies, roll cookies into a ball and roll each ball in cinnamon sugar. Place cookies onto parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Bake 13 minutes. Move baked cookies to wire rack to cool.
 

2 comments:

  1. I've not heard of apple butter before. Could be because we live in the tropics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's basically a fruit spread. It has more body than jelly or jam.

      Delete