Thursday, August 17, 2023

Ninnescah Hometown Art Show

It was like Christmas in July when I opened an email from the Vernon Filley Art Museum. One of my photo canvasses was selected for its latest gallery show, Ninnescah Hometown Art.

And bonus: My photo was one of those featured on the postcard advertising the show. Unfortunately, I couldn't attend the opening artists' reception. It was the same time as Kinley's and Brooke's Shawnee County 4-H Fair. Granddaughters take priority. But when the girls were here in mid-July, they got to go with us as we delivered the canvas to the museum to be hung.

Delivering the photo

The museum asked for an artist's statement about the piece. Here's what I wrote:

Quivira Quiet was shot at sunset at the Quivira National Wildlife Refuge in rural Stafford County, just a few miles from our farm home. I took this in December 2021, when our family had to cancel Christmas plans due to Covid. The quiet beauty of God's creation was just what I needed to lift my spirits. I look for beauty in my everyday life. When you look for beauty, you often find it. For the past 13 years, I've used photography to illustrate my blog, Kim's County Line, where I combine photography with my writings about farming, family, faith and food to tell the story of our five-generation farming operation on the Stafford/Reno County line.

This week, I was able to see the fully-curated show.


There are 55 artists represented in the show, and the artwork is eclectic - everything from wood working, miniatures, quilts, paintings, sculptures, jewelry and more. 

Photo from the Vernon Filley Art Museum Facebook page

All of the artists are from Pratt or have a close connection to the city or the area.

 

Most of the artwork is for sale. Also on display is the work of photographer Brian Creal with his “Latent Images Exposed” exhibit.

The Ninnescah Hometown Art exhibit will be on display at the Vernon Filley Art Museum until January 10, 2024. The Filley Museum is open Tuesday through Friday, 9 AM to 3, and Saturday, 1 to 4 PM. The art museum is a 4,600-square-foot facility located adjacent to the City Library at 421 South Jackson St., in Pratt.  

Next week - August 22-26 - there is FREE admission, thanks to a donor. Check it out! You'll be amazed at all the displays, art classes, special events, lunch and learns and other activities offered at the Filley. Follow them on Facebook or contact them to get on a mailing or text list for upcoming events. Click HERE for the website.

A photo from the Kim's County Line archives

 

 

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations Kim on having your canvas photo selected for show in the Pratt museum. It is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bonnie. I am thrilled to be included.

      Delete
  2. Very, very worthy to be included in the exhibition. Tranquility plus in a world in turmoil from Covid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Helen. It was just what I needed at the time.

      Delete