Monday, May 9, 2016

Peace Creek? Yes, Indeed!


Peace Creek: At first glance, it seemed so aptly named.

But then, as mama cows bellowed and their babies answered, there wasn't much time to enjoy the view. We were there to do a job. It was time to take the cattle off that pasture and transport the majority of them to their summer home-away-from-home, the Ninnescah Pasture.
This was taken this winter, but it shows the wooden bridge, even though it's not "dressed" in green for spring.
Our tires often clickety-clack over the wooden bridge atop Peace Creek on our country road. It becomes second nature as we travel in feed truck, car or 4-wheeler. As I hurry from place to place and back again, I sometimes don't take time to glance at the creek or the surroundings as they shift from season to season.

And, from the road, some of these serene portions of the pasture are hidden, enjoyed only by the beavers who build a dam and the cattle who graze there and find refreshment in its clear waters. 

I clicked a couple of photos, stopping only momentarily as I bounced over the rugged pasture on my 4-wheeler before I tucked the camera back in my pocket. I didn't want to have my pay docked. Oh wait! It can't be docked much more than zero, which is the going rate for this farmer's wife.
But, after the work was done, I requested my payment - a trip to the same hidden oasis during the golden hour and into sunset. This time, we took the 4-wheelers and chased the sunset instead of cattle.
A view like that? I'd say the pay was pretty good.
There's a reason that real photographers call the time just before sunset "the golden hour."
And, as I turned my attention toward the sunset, the light seemed to multiply like fireflies as it danced along the creek's calm surface.
Birds sang a goodnight song as they darted among the cattails and into the trees lining the banks.
 
The glass-like surface of the water was marred only momentarily by ripples caused by passing fish and frogs.
It was a beautiful end to a busy day. I am blessed beyond measure.
A view like that? It's priceless.

6 comments:

  1. My heart is filled with joy from the beauty and words you have shared.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Helen! I hope to go back for an encore soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, there is no price value for the beauty and peace made by God. Thank You for sharing the view that you are blessed to see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are fortunate to experience that every day, aren't we?

      Delete
  4. Yes, the beauty is priceless!!

    I sighed at the thought of your tyres clickety-clacking over the wooden bridge... joy to my ears. Unfortunately so many of the wooden bridges have been replaced with concrete. Now it is a real rarity to hear that sound.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had to put a piece of plywood over the bridge before we moved cattle so nothing would step through. However, they have since repaired the bridge, which is great!

      Delete