Friday, March 17, 2017

An Irish Blessing

Happy St. Patrick's Day! Here's hoping you planned ahead and wore green PJs to bed last night. Randy says we won't have to wear green clothes. We have another day of sorting mamas and babies, then treating the calves to their well-baby checks. Our "green" even comes with a lovely aroma.

When I was growing up, not wearing green on St. Patty's Day meant you got pinched. My sisters and brother were especially happy to remind me if I forgot. I couldn't even eat my Frosted Flakes in peace. (I was, of course, angelic and didn't return the favor. You believe me, right?)

We  weren't immune at school either. But sneaky people could get you in trouble there. What if you pinched someone, and they said, "I've got on green underwear!"? Well, it's not as if you could make them prove it. Teachers were usually quick to help out any forgetful student by supplying a green shamrock to pin to your shirt. I mailed shamrock pins and stickers to Kinley and Brooke this week, hoping to help them avoid any mishaps at school.

I'm not Irish, but I love Irish blessings. So I've illustrated sayings from the Emerald Isle with photos from Kansas. I've heard several of the blessing ones before, but I had to laugh at some of the funny ones. You have to appreciate a sense of humor - Irish or not!

***

May your feet never sweat, your neighbor give you ne're a treat. 
When flowers bloom, I hope you'll not sneeze. 
And may you always have someone to squeeze!
This is a lousy photo, which I took by accident this week when we were working baby calves. Believe me, there were times when my feet were sweating as we tried to push calves into the trailer.
 ***
May those who love us love us.
And those that don't love us,
May God turn their hearts.
And if He doesn't turn their hearts,
May he turn their ankles,
So we'll know them by their limping.
(I hope none of us come up limping today with Round 4 of working baby calves!)

***

May the hinges of our friendship never grow rusty.

***
May your troubles be less and your blessings be more
And nothing but happiness come through your door.

***


May the road rise up to meet you.

May the wind always be at your back.

May the sun shine warm upon your face.


The rains fall soft upon your fields.


And until we meet again
May God hold you in the palm of His hand.

***

Happy St. Patrick's Day! If you're looking for a little "luck of the Irish" on your dinner table today, try this Reuben Casserole:

Or, if you want some themed snack mix to watch K-State, KU and Wichita State play in the NCAA tournament tonight, here's one that's appropriate for your green theme. (And it shows no team favoritism. I'm the one to show favoritism - Go 'Cats!)

6 comments:

  1. I loved this so much, I shared the link to my Facebook page.
    I'd not heard of being pinched for not wearing green.
    LOL of laughter re the green you were most likely to be wearing.!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Helen! We definitely were wearing "green" at the end of our time working calves.

      Delete
  2. I like the Irish Blessing with a Kansas twist! Your picture of the lilacs in the basket hanging on the old door is one of my most favorites!

    Hope your cattle work went well. We are down to 10 heifers to calf and one of them was acting suspicious this evening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Robyn. We only have 6 calves (or so) to go! We seem to have fewer stragglers this year, which is a good thing. We had four days of working calves last week. I was tired at the end of it.

      Good luck on the rest of your calving! You've had more weather challenges than we have, for sure.

      We had temperatures in the 90s yesterday. That is too hot for wheat that needs rain.

      Delete
    2. We've got some to spare now, after 4 inches fell yesterday, so I'll send some over.

      Delete
    3. We would gladly take it!

      Delete