Wednesday, May 24, 2017

I'm the Map, I'm the Map, I'm the Map!

My farmer likes maps. While I don't "read" them like novels (unlike another I could name), I prefer a hand-drawn map to help me complete my next "go-fer" duty. It's a lot easier to follow than an convoluted explanation. And, bonus: I can take it with me for additional reference. (The map above was my guide to picking up two bags of sorghum silage seed in a hidden-away building down a twisty dirt road at the Iuka branch of the Kanza Co-op.)
He used a cut-and-paste method to make a map to help orient our new farm employee, who started yesterday. Randy hopes it will make it easier for him to learn the names and locations of the fields we rent or own. 
Evidently the "map gene" is one that got passed down to another generation. When we took the girls to Manhattan's Sunset Zoo, the ticket seller asked Randy if he wanted a map. When Kinley saw Grandpa's map, she needed one of her very own.
If you look closely, you can see Kinley has her map in hand!
And if Kinley has something, Brooke has to have one, too. (That is officially the Law of Younger Siblings.)
As Grandpa and the girls consulted their maps, I couldn't help but think of the Dora the Explorer song we'd heard multiple times on the car's DVD player on a trip back from Iowa. Dora often uses a map on her adventures, and the map sings a catchy song, "I'm the map, I'm the map, I'm the map." (OK. It's annoying, too, but it is catchy.)
Kinley the Explorer helped us discover the nooks and crannies of the Sunset Zoo. Even though it's in Manhattan - my home away from home - I'd never been to the Sunset Zoo. Randy hadn't been since college ... and that's been a year or two (or 39).
 
My creature photos weren't all that great, except I was thrilled that we saw the peacock with its feathers spread.
We enjoyed watching the monkeys and the chimps. but the photos didn't do the experience justice. 
 
But the cutest creatures of all are our map-reading granddaughters.

No comments:

Post a Comment