Tuesday, January 22, 2019

Who Needs the Lottery?

I don't play the lottery. So why am I taking a photo of a PowerBall ticket?

It was a gift from someone who said I had to be the luckiest person he knew. I really am fortunate. But I am not going to attribute my good fortune last week to "luck." Instead, I've been thanking God for His protection.

I had a 4-wheeler accident last Monday (January 14) while we were moving cattle. I probably should have been hurt badly. Instead, I'm just a little bruised and battered.
I wasn't going to tell anyone about it. I hate mistakes.This first-born perfectionist especially hates my  mistakes. So I was going to cover it up. I told Randy to tell the other two people who witnessed the accident that they were to keep their mouths shut.

As far as I know, they did. But one of them is the purchaser of the lottery ticket. He stopped Randy on the road the next day and said it was for me ... for the aforementioned luck.

The lottery ticket was not a winner. In fact, it didn't have even one matching number. But that was OK. I didn't think my "deliverance" from major harm had anything to do with "luck" anyway.

It took me two days to confess the accident to anyone in my family. I took a backwards vault off the Peace Creek bridge with the 4-wheeler. It's not easy to get the 4-wheeler into reverse. My inexperience with the reverse button and the bridge location collided. However, all that rain and mud we've been frustrated by likely helped cushion my fall. I vaguely remember pushing the 4-wheeler away from me as I fell, and it didn't land on top of me. That helped, too.
I had some bruises - inside and out - and I wasn't too comfortable for a few days. But even the bruises are fading now.

Farming is a dangerous job. Sometimes it's dangerous because we make stupid mistakes. Sometimes animals don't react the way we anticipate. We are around big machinery and moving parts and chemicals, and accidents happen. We're sometimes tired and impatient - two things that can lead to mistakes.

I could have just showed the photos of moving the cattle. Believe me: I considered it. We moved two groups that day and things went well until the end. We had one "escapee," and I was trying to go help retrieve that one left behind when the accident happened.

I've been privately thanking God for His protection for a week. If I'm not willing to say that and to show all sides of farming, then I'm not being an honest representative for agriculture or for my faith.

In the adult Sunday School class I facilitate, the chapter theme last week was "Revealing Authenticity." Hmmm ... I have to admit it was another nudge to be honest. One of the quotes from the book, "#struggles: Following Jesus in a Selfie-Centered World," was from Mother Teresa. Really? Who can argue with Mother Teresa?
Honesty and transparency make you vulnerable. Be honest and transparent anyway.
In this world of Instagram filters and pithy "tweets," it's become our "norm" to edit our images and our words. We crop our photos to show our best features. We only post photos of ourselves and our families when everyone looks their best. We write, then edit, then edit some more until we have what we hope will translate into the maximum number of "likes."

Author of the book Craig Groeschel says: "The more filtered our lives become - the more we show others only the "me" we want them to see - the more difficulty we have being authentic. ... If we can't be real, are we really living?"

So here you have me: Unfiltered and authentic. I am not the perfect farm wife. I'm far from it. But you know that saying about getting back on your horse after getting bucked off? I'll be back on the 4-wheeler again. (But I will probably do everything in my power to keep from having to use the reverse. Just saying. And just being real. For sure, I won't use it if I'm on a bridge.)

Here are the photos and the story of what happened before the accident, It really was a pretty day: 
There's at least one in every crowd. It's the guy (or gal) who doesn't join the rest. You know the type: It's the one who is insistent about not following the carefully-prescribed plan of action. While others follow a straight line toward a common destination, that obstinate non-rule follower will willfully mess up the carefully-detailed plan of action.
 
This cow who didn't walk down the cattle trail is kind of like that toddler who looks over at his/her mother while doing the very thing that she'd just said not to do. It's like the kindergarten student who can't seem to remain in single file on the way to the lunch room. Honestly, these cows were well-behaved.
Once we got them moving in the same direction with the 4-wheelers, they went willingly.
Cattle - like humans - are creatures of habit. It took awhile for them to realize that the electric fence was no longer there. Even the enticement of a big round bale of tasty hay didn't have them crossing the line where the fence had been.
They finally crossed the "demilitarized" zone.
And with a little urging, they were across the road.
We ran them into the corrals until the roads froze enough to move them. Thankfully, that happened on Saturday. It was before the heifers started calving. While the "due date" is January 28, we had our first baby calves by January 23 last year.

Since there's another cold snap with potential flurries or a "wintry mix" coming, it will probably happen soon. Randy is already making trips to "the girls" to see if we have any early arrivals for the Class of 2019. Alert: Cute calf pictures soon to come!

10 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you're ok! Thanks for sharing, and being authentic! I am guilty of only posting the "good" things, so often as well.
    I had to laugh a little at your cows not wanting to cross where the fence was! I guess cows are alike all over...we have to pretend to be taking down a wire sometimes, in order for our cows to realize that they can cross a certain spot! (and of course then there are always those that go through the fence when it's up, just because they can!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes! We have those "fence busters," too, who invariably test their freedom at the most inopportune times. And thanks for the affirmation.

      Delete
  2. Oh dear! You certainly are very fortunate not to do more serious damage to yourself. I can only imagine Randy's reaction when he saw you. Take care of yourself. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were both a little shook up ... and very thankful!

      Delete
  3. I am so glad you are ok. I think the lottery win would not be as needed as you. Take care. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We could always use some extra money, but good health and good relationships are priceless! Thanks, B!

      Delete
  4. So glad you wrote of this horrible mishap Kim but completely relieved that you are OK. Your life on the farm has certainly had some ups and downs in the past 6 months. I hope the calving goes smoothly and the joy of each new arrival, will lift your spirits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been a challenging year, but new calf time is always a favorite season.

      Delete
  5. Sure am glad to hear you are feeling better. I know those bruises can be so painful.

    Hope your calving season brings smooth sailing! And sunshine :)

    Terri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had our first two calves yesterday on a nice day. The rest of this week is supposed to be bitterly cold. Thanks for the good wishes!

      Delete