Tuesday, August 13, 2024

By the Numbers: A Road Trip

Two Medicine Lake, Glacier National Park

Earth and sky, 
woods and fields, 
lakes and rivers, 
the mountains and the sea
are excellent schoolmasters, 
and teach some of us more
than we can ever learn from books.
– John Lubbock

 
Yellowstone - Grand Canyon of Yellowstone
 

 Summer Road Trip 2024: By the Numbers

  • We left the morning of July 30 and returned home late afternoon August 10.
  • We traveled 4,021 miles by car. 
  • We spent about 76 hours in the car.
  • We listened to 3 3/4 audio books.
  • I took 800 photos - give or take.
  • We traveled through six states (Kansas, Nebraska, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho and Colorado.)
  • We took a brief foray into Canada and used our passports for the first time.
  • We visited three National Parks - Glacier, Yellowstone and Grand Tetons - and points in between. 
  • We ate several foods featuring huckleberries.
  • It took five loads of laundry to get us back to our starting point.
Grand Tetons
 
  Stats for Randy
  • True confessions: I don't pay attention to this stuff. But when I asked him about things he wanted to add to my notes, the subject kept coming up, so I finally relented. 
  • Gas was $3.25 per gallon when we left home. It ranged from $3.50 to $4.25 a gallon along the way, the highest being in Jackson, Wyoming. 
  • Our car averaged 27 miles per gallon. 

And while it's always an experience to travel, there's no place like home for me.

Stafford/Reno County line, Kansas
 
I'll have a lot more from our trip. But downloading photos and writing takes some time. My pledge to you: I promise I won't share every photo I took. 



11 comments:

  1. Love love this!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We saw lots of beautiful scenery. And it's always good to be back home, too!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a lot of fun. We’re getting ready to head out on a road trip on Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like the two trips I made in 1954 and 55 in a truck with a combine and header over my head. I got paid for my trip! (Ha ha)

      Delete
    2. Well, I'm glad we weren't driving a truck - ha! You can't take the farm out of a couple of Kansas farm "kids," though. I made Randy stop so I could take a photo of a wheat field. In Montana, some of their wheat wasn't cut yet. We did see one combine going in Wyoming on the way home, too.

      Delete
  3. We have a friend who is a concierge at Glacier Lake- my bucket list for sure; thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With all the adventures you take, you would love it! We got to see Glacier in a variety of ways - from sunshine to fog. It was all beautiful - just in different ways. (It wasn't too much fun driving at the top of the mountain in the clouds. It was tense to watch the yellow lines in the center to stay on the road!)

      Delete
  4. Sounds wonderful! I can't wait for your next post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement!

      Delete
  5. Fabulous. So looking forward to all the pics. These have definitely whetted the appepite. You have travelled through areas I would really love to visit, especially Glacier National Park. Thanks for Randy's stats. We are trying to convert gallons to litres and compare US dollar to Aus dollar. We are currently paying $2 a litre. Seems like there are 4 litres to a gallon. Big price difference, if I have my maths correct.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Math is not my strong suit - ha!

      Delete