Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Oh, Be Careful!

Do you know that old Sunday School song, "Oh Be Careful"?

It's the one that reminds us:

"Oh, be careful little tongue what you say ...
Oh, be careful little feet where you go ...
Oh, be careful little hands what you do ...

For the Father up above
Is looking down in love
So be careful little tongue what you say." (And so on.)

I had one of those moments during our road trip. On our second travel day, we had decided to take a break mid-afternoon and walk outside instead of on a motel treadmill. I was all for that.

So we stopped at a rest area somewhere in Tennessee. I don't remember where exactly.

We were walking around the rest area, and I saw a guy with his camera. He was taking a photo of a sculpture.

I thought to myself, "Oh the poor guy! It must be a really bad vacation if he has to take photos of rest area sculptures."

I didn't say it out loud. But I sure thought it.

And then, as we walked further, I saw a cemetery on a hill.

And I had to explore.

And then I had to go get my camera.

And then I became that person taking photos at a rest area.

I then confessed to my traveling companion about my thoughts about the poor guy taking photos at the rest area.

"Oh, be careful little tongue what you say.
Oh, be careful little mind what you think." (That would be a good verse to add, I think.)

It should be my theme song.

And then, just to top it all off, I took photos of the sculpture, too.

It was, after all, called Marking Time.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, your initial thought about that guy must've been based on the idea that he hadn't found any spectacular scenic views to photograph. No magnificent mountains in a National Park, for instance. I can identify much more with that guy, though -- when we're on a road trip, I tend to take pics of the more ordinary, even mundane things. For instance, this:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ghb624/5840110383/in/photostream
    Glad you got over that initial thought.
    Jerry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for commenting, Jerry. If you spend much time poking around here on my blogspot, you will find that I am the queen of ordinary, mundane things! Thanks for sharing the link to your flickr photo. I would have photographed that one, too. Happy picture taking - whether spectacular or mundane!

    ReplyDelete