Tuesday, June 19, 2012

The Incredible Green Hulk


The zucchini didn't get the memo. I said we aren't gardeners around here. They ignored me.

Leave them a day to get a little bigger, and they become The Incredible Green Hulk. We could make our own B movie: Giant Zucchini Take Over the World (or at least our little garden plot). I wish the tomatoes would vie for starring roles in that film.

Yesterday, I tried a new quick bread recipe. While I had the grater out, I grated the largest three zucchini and portioned it out in 2-cup measures. I put the bags in the freezer and will use them for future baking projects.

If this plentiful harvest continues, I may have to invest in a new food processor. The grater portion of my ancient machine doesn't work anymore, so I used my box grater. On second thought, maybe not. I think that grater and I built up some new arm muscles (or gave me a neck ache).

This recipe combines whole wheat flour and oats with all-purpose flour. It also uses applesauce to replace part of the vegetable oil. Add zucchini, mashed bananas and some dates, and it packs a nutritious punch without sacrificing great taste. Enjoy!


Low-Fat Banana Zucchini Bread (or Muffins)
Recipe from Food.com

1 cup white flour
1 cup wheat flour
1 cup oats
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground allspice
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
1 tsp. salt
4 eggs
1 1/4 cups sugar
1/4 cup oil
1/2 cup applesauce
2 medium over-ripe bananas, mashed
1 tsp. vanilla
2 cups shredded zucchini
1 cup dates (or raisins or walnuts or a mixture)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix together all dry ingredients. In a separate bowl, beat eggs. Add sugar, oil, vanilla, applesauce and mashed bananas to the eggs; mix well. Combine the wet and dry ingredients, mixing just until moistened. Fold in zucchini and dates.

Pour into 2 lightly greased 9- by 5-inch loaf pans. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.

I made smaller loaves and some muffins. Bake the small loaves 25-30 minutes and the muffins 18-20 minutes or until the toothpick inserted comes out clean. Ovens vary a lot: You know yours better than I do!


***
I'm linked today to Crazy for Crust's Crazy Sweet Tuesday. Check out the other sweet treats there!

4 comments: