Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Pancakes for a Snow Day

What? The average person didn't have ricotta cheese, blueberries and lemons on their must-have-for-the-blizzard shopping list? Those ingredients were undoubtedly easier to find than bread and milk last weekend as shoppers raced to the grocery store after Round 1 and before Round 2 of the Blizzard of Oz. 

Actually, I had all those ingredients (plus the milk and the bread) before it snowed the first time. I grew up on a farm 15 minutes from a grocery store. I still live 15 minutes from town, so my pantry sometimes spills over into my laundry room. I have an extra large refrigerator, which is usually packed full, with extra storage in an old fridge in the basement.

I was raised by a Mom who was a champion when it came to planning ahead. I learned my lesson well. It's rare that I run out of staples, though it has happened on occasion.

It was a pancake-kind-of-day with the snow coming down. And it was the perfect opportunity to try a recipe that I'd had on the back burner for awhile now. I grew up eating pancakes or waffles more often for supper than for breakfast. And today, I am still much more likely to make pancakes for lunch or supper. 

Blueberries are Randy's favorite fruit. When they were on sale last week at my local grocery store, I bought several pints. Some of them got incorporated into the pancake batter and some were used in the blueberry sauce. And I still had some leftover for fruit salad.

Yum! If you don't have those ingredients and are snowbound (like we are right now), be sure and save the recipe. (And, if you're now in a pancake mood, I have a few other options from other posts.) 
Lemon Ricotta Blueberry Pancakes
with Blueberry Sauce

Pancakes:
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1 cup part-skim ricotta
2 large eggs
1/2 cup milk
2 tsp. grated lemon zest
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups blueberries

Syrup:
2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
1 1/2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
2 tsp. cornstarch

For pancakes: Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl until well combined. Set aside. In a separate bowl, whisk together ricotta, eggs, milk, lemon zest and vanilla until frothy. Stir flour mixture into egg mixture just until combined. Lightly stir in blueberries. (If using frozen blueberries, toss them in a little flour before adding to the batter.)

Lightly grease a large nonstick griddle or skillet over medium heat. Pour 1/3 cup batter onto griddle and spread to make about a 4-inch pancake. Cook 3 minutes or until edges are dry, top is bubbly and the bottom is golden. Flip pancake and cook 2-3 minutes longer or until lightly golden brown on both sides. Adjust heat as needed to prevent burning.

Place pancakes on heat-proof platter and keep warm in a 200-degree oven (or use a tortilla warmer to keep them warm). Repeat with remaining batter.

For syrup: In a small bowl, combine sugar and cornstarch; mix well. In a saucepan, combine blueberries, water and lemon juice. Heat until boiling. Stir in sugar mixture. Reduce heat. Cook until slightly thickened. Serve over pancakes or waffles (or, right now, over snow ice cream)!

with Cinnamon Brown Butter



***
I'm sharing this recipe over at Ashley's What In Your Kitchen Wednesday. Be sure and visit her blog, Kitchen Meets Girl, and find other yummy recipes!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds yummy, Kim! Your pictures are mouth watering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Robyn! I wish some I had taken today had turned out as well. It would be great to be consistent! (Maybe if I knew what I was doing :0)

      Delete