Monday, July 29, 2013

In the Weeds

Sunflowers are the extroverts. They wave wildly and shout "Hello!" with their vibrant yellow arms and winking brown eyes. Even when we race by at 55 mph, they stand tall and shout, "Hey, look at me!"
 
But, the introverts among us have beauty, too. We aren't going to see them at a glance or hear their whisper unless we silence the rest of life's noise and busyness.
The blue in this at-a-glance scene was the cerulean sky, stretching from horizon to horizon, interrupted only by streaks of white clouds. At 55 mph, that's all I see. But, that blue sky was mimicked by a subtle blanket of blue in the ditch. It wasn't until I walked past them that I discovered the treasure. They aren't waving enthusiastically in the Kansas wind like their yellow, extroverted cousins. Instead, they hide their delicate beauty, tucked in the weeds.
I think there's a lesson there: Sometimes there is beauty in the weeds and the clutter of our lives.

Wishing for all of us a week where we can truly see the gifts right in front of us - large and small. And may they not have to shout to get our attention.

7 comments:

  1. So true! Definitely beauty in the weeds. Such lovely captures of the blue flowers and blue sky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I just love those little blue flowers, but they are tiny, so it's easy to overlook them.

      Delete
  2. Well said! The beauty of God is all around us if we will only open our eyes and look around. Thanks for this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for taking time to comment, Tony! Most of the time, it's more a reminder to me than anyone else. :-)

      Delete
  3. Off-hand I cannot think of the name of these beautiful little blue flowers but they have always been one of my favorites. My two favorite college classes were "Birds of Kansass" and "Wildflowers of Kansas". Both were summer classes, so the field trips were productive!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think from looking on the Kansas Wildflower website that they are called erect dayflowers. I love blue, so they are definitely favorites of mine.

      Delete
  4. I live in Maine and just discovered this flower under my bird feeding table - it's gorgeous and I will try to winter it over in my greenhouse!

    ReplyDelete