Tuesday, November 14, 2017

All in a Day's Work

The sunrise is God's greeting ...
the sunset His signature.
Anonymous

That morning started with a parts run to Hutchinson. I was heading south to Highway 50, but a glance to the east had me turning down the road to my "sunrise tree." I snapped a couple of photos, not my customary dozen, turned around and resumed my duty.

Later that evening, I had to pick Randy up from the field around sunset.
The view as I crossed Peace Creek was worth another stop. The camera's eye couldn't seem to capture the scene, no matter how many adjustments I made. It ended up being one of those moments when you just have to "be there."
But as  I turned away from the sunset and toward the eastern skies, the scene took my breath away.
The sunset light had shut down my camera lens when looking directly towards it. But that same light bathed the clouds in the eastern sky, highlighting them in diffused, pastel light.

My go-fer job doesn't pay particularly well ... unless you count the sunrises and the sunsets. Then I am a rich woman indeed. 

(I was looking for the terminology for the eastern sky at sunset. I didn't find that, but I did find a fascinating interview about the science of sunsets from National Geographic.)

2 comments: