Thursday, April 11, 2019

A Reminder at Dawn

A whisper of color lightened the dawn sky as I filled my coffee cup. It reminded me of a Chris Tomlin song I'd heard on K-LOVE.

Morning, I see You in the sunrise every morning
It's like a picture that You've painted for me
A love letter in the sky
Nobody Loves Me Like You by Chris Tomlin

During Lent, Pastor Nate has been preaching a sermon series, Reconnecting with an Unhurried God. I admit it: Too often, I grab my cup of coffee and march down the stairs to my office to start the work day.
But yesterday morning, I took time to peruse God's "love letter in the sky." So I drove to the sunrise tree. Then, as the sky shifted for the grand reveal at sunrise, I stood in the cool breeze, with the birds singing, and the sky changing moment by moment. And I was again reminded of that call to an unhurried life during this season of Lent.
Last Sunday, Pastor Nate left us with this benediction:

Blessing for the Unhurried Life
May you notice creation around you
and how effortlessly it passes the time.
May you see the passing of time
as a friend, with all its fast and slow.
May you find delight
in the season of “right now.”
And may you be reacquainted each day
with an unhurried God
who is calling you to dive deeply into love.
Later in the morning, Randy and I walked down our dirt road. The fragrance of blooming shrubs decorating the ditches filled the air with fragrance.
Today, winter is set to give a final hurrah ... or what we hope is its last gasp.
So the blooms on the trees and the tender spring flowers will likely fall victim to the freezing temperatures that blasted into the state with a northern wind overnight.
You do not ask us to go back to some yesteryear,

but to take time to smell the roses, savor the twilight, bask in the sun.

We are your children, created to flourish along with all of creation.
From Reconnecting with an Unhurried God

So, I will enjoy the blossoms as they bloom.
 
And I'll celebrate the beauty that is there for the taking, if only I invest the time to see it.
It's a reminder to treasure the small blessings every day.

 Check out this song by Chris Tomlin.



2 comments:

  1. So very true... treasure the small blessings every day. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What lovely spring blossoms to lift ones spirits.
    We have so much to be thankful for if we just take the time to look around.

    ReplyDelete