Monday, August 27, 2012

Singin' in the Rain

Saturday evening, August 25, 2012
We got 5 inches of rain this past weekend on the County Line. We had some water in the basement and our utility room roof leaked. And we couldn't be happier.

It's been ages since we've seen mudholes in fields or along ditches.
And while it's not possible to leave a two-year drought behind with just one rain, it lightened moods as surely as it perked up pastures and streams.

The Rattlesnake Creek pasture again has water flowing.
August 26, 2012
The creek was completely dry early this month, for the first time in Randy's lifetime.
August 3, 2012
It may buy a few more days on pasture for the cow-calf pairs. It helped incorporate the fertilizer we had applied last week into the soil, ready to give a nutrient boost to the 2013 wheat crop we'll plant within the next month to 6 weeks. Now we won't be "dusting" in the wheat - literally putting the wheat seed on top of the ground and praying for the best.

Water glistened from roadside sunflowers Saturday afternoon.
We all had on our happy faces. Thank you, Lord!
Saturday evening, August 25, 2012

2 comments:

  1. Kim, I am so happy to hear the County Line got some rain! Nothing puts a smile on a farmer or ranchers face like rain!

    On my trip to NE things got drier and drier the further south I drove. I have never seen the Sandhills so brown. Home looks worse than what I had imagined in my mind's eye.

    Hot temps and wind while I was gone has made things look worse at home. Sounds like temps in in the high 90's-105 will be with us until Friday.

    Love the kitten pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely puts a smile on faces around these parts, Robyn! Not everyone in Kansas got as much rain either, so I recognize how blessed we are!

      I hope you found that your Dad had improved. I also hope you had a wonderful time at the fair.

      Delete