Friday, April 18, 2014

The Jesus Tree

Good Friday seems to be anything but good. But if we get through the darkness of the Crucifixion, there is hope.

Last Monday, we moved cattle from one location to another. As Randy backed the trailer up to the barn, the pickup scraped up against a thorny tree at the old farmstead.

"Hey, look!" I told Randy. "It looks like the crown of thorns that Ben has on the altar."

"It's a Jesus tree," Randy confirmed.

Later, as I waited for the guys, I  examined those piercing thorns that would be like a weapon against flesh. And, during this Holy Week, I was once again reminded of Christ's great sacrifice for me.
Later, as I stood at the barn door waiting to close the trailer gate, I looked up and saw a cross formed by beams in the old ramshackle barn. Even on a cloudy, overcast day, the light illumined the snow-dusted cross.
When I look at the cross, I also see a mirror held up to our souls. Each of us hears the whisper of the serpent and at times succumbs. The story of the cross is our story. ... Something in us is broken. ... When I look at the cross, it reminds me of all the things inside myself that I don't like to admit are there, all the ways I've betrayed and denied Christ or hurt other people, all that is in need of redemption and grace. The cross leads me to gratitude and awe. ... I want to walk in His footsteps. I want to live as a citizen of His kingdom. I want to love as He loved." 
Rev. Adam Hamilton from "The Way: Walking in the Footsteps of Christ"
During this solemn day of Good Friday, I still look forward to the promise of Resurrection that we will celebrate on Easter Sunday. We're the blessed ones. We know the rest of the story. May it impact every facet of my life today and every day.
For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
John 3:16

4 comments:

  1. This is a gentle reminder that we can always find "the Cross" if we just look for Him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tami! Thanks also for your ministry of music at the Maundy Thursday service last night. You are appreciated!

      Delete
  2. Kim, you always seems to find just the right images to photograph to go along with your writings. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Patty! Easter blessings to you and yours!

      Delete