Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Blueberry Orange Muffins

It was Mother's Day weekend, but it was Randy's favorite fruit that ended up on the breakfast table. I don't think Jill and I were disappointed though.

I had seen the recipe on one of the food blogs I follow, Inside Bru Crew.  Since we were having guests for the weekend, I decided to give them a try. I had planned to make two different recipes, but I settled for doubling this one. (Grandma time wins out over baking time - hands down - but I also like sticking extras in the freezer for a quick thaw out when needed.)
The orange juice and zest give just the right citrus flavor to the muffins. And how can you go wrong with a glaze? Everything is better with frosting, right?

I used frozen blueberries since I didn't have fresh available. Don't thaw the berries before using or you'll likely end up with blue muffins. I like blue, but blue food probably isn't the most appealing. What's your preference when it comes to muffins?
Blueberry Orange Muffins
Adapted from the Inside Bru Crew blog
1/2 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 eggs
2 cups flour
1 tbsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 cup milk
3/4 cup orange juice
1 1/4 cups blueberries
1 tbsp. orange zest
Glaze:
1 tbsp. butter, melted
1 tbsp. orange juice
3/4 cup - 1 cup powdered sugar

Note:  You may use fresh or frozen blueberries. Because fresh weren't available to me, I used frozen blueberries. I didn't defrost before using since that invariably turns the batter blue.

Beat butter and sugar together until creamy. Add the vanilla and eggs; beat again.

Stir together the flour, baking powder and salt. Add alternately with the milk and orange juice until just combined. Don't overmix.

Stir in blueberries and orange zest by hand. Spoon into 15 muffin liners. Bake at 350 degrees for 18 to 20 minutes until golden brown and the muffins test done by inserting a toothpick in the muffin center. Remove and let cool.

Glaze: Whisk together the glaze ingredients, adding enough powdered sugar to make a moderately thin glaze. Dip the tops of the cooled muffins into the glaze or just put a thin layer on top with a spoon. Let set.

Store loosely covered. If you store in an airtight container, the glaze soaks into the muffins. You may also add the glaze the day of serving so they don't get sticky.

***
Today, I'm linked to Wake Up Wednesdays. Click on the link to see what's cooking across the nation.

No comments:

Post a Comment