Tuesday, November 6, 2018

Nature in All Its Glory

How beautifully leaves grow old.
How full of light and color 
are their last days.
~John Burroughs

There's probably a lesson there, isn't there? Cold gusts will send more leaves crashing from their perch this week. Leaves dance their way to their inevitable end, whether it's crushed underfoot or crowded into overstuffed plastic bags.

As I age, do I focus on the aches and pains? Am I consumed with perceived slights? Do I get set in my ways? Do I resist change?

A change of perspective often helps us see things in a different light. Last week, I was coming home from Manhattan after a fun Halloween evening with the girls. 
I so enjoyed my time with my little trick or treaters - a 4-year-old bumblebee named Brooke and a 6-year-old witch named Kinley. (Kinley insisted that she was a good witch - not a bad one.)
However, I was not looking forward to the doctor's appointment scheduled for the next day in Hutchinson. After getting Kinley on the bus, I drove back to Hutchinson and had some time before my appointment. So I switched my dress shoes for tennis shoes so I could walk the paths of Dillon Nature Center.
If ever there was a natural blood pressure reliever, it has to be Dillon Nature Center on a beautiful fall morning.
Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.
The winds will blow their own freshness into you,
and the storms their energy,
while cares will drop off like autumn leaves.

--Naturalist John Muir
During this month of Thanksgiving, Lord, open my eyes to the light, the color and my blessings that would fill more sacks than the autumn leaves.

 
A few days ago, I walked along the edge of the lake
and was treated to the crunch and rustle of leaves
with each step I made.
The acoustics of this season are different,
and all sounds, no matter how hushed,
are as crisp as autumn air.
                                                         --Eric Sloane

Autumn, the year's last, loveliest smile.
William Cullen Bryant
falling leaves
hide the path
so quietly
John Bailey
Autumn, A Haiku Year.
Autumn wins you best by this, 
its mute appeal to sympathy for its decay.
Robert Browning


Everyone must take time to sit and watch the leaves turn.
Elizabeth Lawrence
Thank you, Lord, for autumn!

4 comments:

  1. Although spring is my favorite season, I just love seeing the pretty fall leaves! I'm so thankful to live in a place where we see all four seasons very distinctly! Thanks for sharing some of your beauty. (and I hope that appointment went well!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Alica! Getting old is tough - ha!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful verses with such glorious photos

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kinley is definitely a good witch. A gorgeous photo of them both.
    How wonderful to have time to take this walk. I trust the appointment gave more positive results than you were anticipating.

    Thanks for sharing your autumn beauty and emotive verses.

    ReplyDelete