Thursday, March 21, 2019

Goodbye Winter, Hello Spring!

Winter left quietly on Tuesday night. The sky was not a vibrant kaleidoscope of color. Though at times, our winter season roared with wind, snow and rain, winter bid adieu unobtrusively. There was a slight, biting breeze, but it was more a wave goodbye than a hearty shout as it departed for another year.
Our roads still bear the mark of a wet fall and winter, and the waning rays of sunshine reflected in the stagnant water in the road by my sunrise tree. This time, I traveled beyond the tree and gazed toward the west. The sunrise tree witnessed the daylight's end and winter's surrender.
Toward the east, a moon rose above wispy clouds. I wish my camera could have captured its size and brilliance, even in the light of dusk.
Thirty minutes later, the light was bleeding from the sky, like a patient on one of the TV medical shows I like to watch. Winter was taking its last gasp. The power poles seemingly marched their way to the horizon as the sun gave up its hold for another day.

Goodbye, winter!

And, 12 hours later, it was hello spring!
 
 On Wednesday, the sunrise tree again stood vigil as pink tinged the blue of night.
At the silo, the calves and their mamas said hello to the first day of spring.
Without full sunshine and the warmth of the day, the calves weren't yet ready to romp and play. They were more curious about a pajama-clad human standing by the fence, I suppose.
At first, I thought the low-riding clouds would obscure our first spring sunrise. But the sun broke through, bringing a promise of a new day ... and a new season.
Gardeners and farmers alike turn the page from winter and spring with great anticipation. Their fingers practically itch to touch the soil and begin planting seeds. And that's what my farmer did on Wednesday. He planted oats. (More on that later.)

Despite the calendar, will winter have a final hurrah? Like that patient on the TV medical show, will it refuse to take its last breath and make a recovery, sending another snow or plummeting temperatures? Time will tell. For now, we celebrate spring's homecoming.

4 comments:

  1. What a wonderfully descriptive post Kim. I assume it was preplanned, but your skies performed beautifully. Here in Australia, the seasons 'officially' change on the 1st of the month. It means little here in Queensland but you have set me to wondering, do the 'Southerners' look forward to the changing seasons as much as so many people in other countries. Best wishes for a successful oats crop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd say that people in Kansas are particularly anxious for the arrival of spring after a cold winter. I am not a hot weather person, so I also look forward to fall each year after a sweltering summer. (And I also love football season.) I do love the changing of the seasons and the variations it brings to my part of the world. It's one of the fringe benefits of living in Kansas, in my opinion.

      I had the idea of the last sunset of winter and the first sunrise of spring. But I didn't write anything until after I took the photos.

      Delete
    2. We certainly do look forward to the changing of the seasons too Helen. We are all living in hope of that elusive good Autumn break, Autumn rains, to set us up for Winter and then Spring. We all so need a change in the season. I for one are certainly looking forward to some cooler days and the sound of raindrops on the roof.

      Wonderful post as always Kim. Your words and photos make your posts so interesting to read.

      Delete
    3. I hope some rain will come your way soon, Lynda!

      Delete