Thursday, July 8, 2021

Biscoff No-Bake Cookies

 

I'm pretty sure I've confessed this before, but just in case there's any doubt: I struggle with making no-bake cookies.

For someone who can make homemade pies and cinnamon rolls, that sounds like an absurd claim. I can put a tasty dinner on the table or deliver it to the field with no problems (most days).
 
But no-bake cookies have never been a strong suit. Sometimes, they're rock hard. Other times, they won't set up. But I did have good success with these Biscoff No-Bake Cookies.

Wheat harvest was/is dragging on. And while I still had regular cookies, packaged 2 X 2 in my freezer just like Noah's Ark, I decided the guys might like a little variety. (I make 3 or 4 varieties at the same time with this basic recipe and add-ins. Click here for the recipe.)
 
Randy says he doesn't like peanut butter. He may not prefer peanut butter, but he still manages to eat it if there aren't other options available (and sometimes when there are other options ... hence my claim that he really doesn't mind peanut butter all that much!)

But this recipe called for Biscoff Cookie Spread. It spreads like peanut butter, but it has the taste of Biscoff cookies. It can be found jarred in the peanut butter aisle at larger grocery stores. I like Biscoff spread, even though I've never had a Biscoff cookie in my life.

From what I understand, Biscoff cookies became popular among Americans after travelers were treated to the hard brown sugar/cinnamon-flavored "biscuits" on European airlines. They were originally produced in Belgium.
 
Turning on the oven was not required, so it was another bonus for the good ol' summer time - besides offering an alternative to my established cookie stash for harvest.
 
And, bonus! They weren't too hard or too soft. They were just right. Just call me Goldilocks. Let me know if you try them. 
 
We have about 20 acres of wheat to cut. It's where we got about 4 inches of rain total in a combination of storms. Randy says he'll try it again at the end of the week. Fingers crossed!


  Biscoff No-Bake Cookies
Adapted from Cooking Classy

1 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 cup butter, diced into 4 pieces
1/2 cup milk (preferably 2% or whole)
1/2 cup Biscoff Cookie Spread*
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 cups quick oats

* You can find Biscoff Cookie Spread in larger grocery stores near the peanut butter.

In a medium saucepan, combine sugar, brown sugar, salt, cinnamon, butter and milk. Heat mixture over medium heat, stirring frequently until mixture begins to boil. Allow mixture to boil for 45 seconds without stirring, then remove from heat. Immediately stir in Biscoff and vanilla, whisking until well blended, then mix in quick oats. Drop mixture by the spoonful or cookie scoop onto parchment or waxed paper and allow to cool until set. I got a couple of dozen with the size of scoop I used.


4 comments: