Thursday, April 7, 2022

Photos from Boarding School

I can't imagine sending my kids off to boarding school. It was hard enough to put them on that big yellow bus when they were kindergarteners. Their little legs looked so short, stepping onto that first step of the bus in the dim morning light. (We were always the first stop in the mornings since we were right on the border of the school district.)

An aside: I just read a novel in which the boy was sent away to boarding school. Actually, he ended up in several different boarding schools because he was always getting in trouble. (And, by the way, I would highly recommend The Lincoln Highway by Amor Towles. It looks intimidating because of its 593 pages, but it really reads fairly quickly. Once you get past the author's refusal to use quotation marks for dialog, it's a great read!)

Anyway, in some ways, I feel like our Class of 2022 baby calves have been away at "boarding school." We don't have any babies in the corral just east of our house. They and their mamas aren't in the pasture just south of our house or in the pasture just north of Randy's childhood home. Since Tye and his dad, Todd, have had the responsibility for the daily care and feeding of their mamas, we just visit the "boarding school" on occasion.

They have the cows and calves fairly close to where we live. Sometimes I wonder if Randy is pushing their liberal "visitation" policy, but they don't seem to mind. The other day, Tye happened to be there and even opened the gate for us to drive in for a closer look. That's service!

Our cattle herd and the Millers' is mingled together at their calving location. The beige colored calf in the background is theirs.

Of course, I had to take my customary "class photos."

I am a sucker for pretty markings on a calf.
It looked like this cow had a day care center open.

Same goes for this mama. 

It's interesting to see how genetics plays out in the annual offspring. You could tell these two went together, even without their matching eartags.

 

This one looked like it was protesting its inclusion in my photo album.  

This one's eyelashes are the envy of any lady.

While the white-faced babies seem to naturally attract my attention, their monotone-colored friends are awfully cute, too.

It likely won't be the last time we visit the "boarding school" grounds. 

I think I've read about family days at boarding school.


2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad we haven't missed out on meeting the class of 2022. A very impressive nunch!

    ReplyDelete