Tuesday, April 19, 2022

Spring Pea Salad

 

I love a good-quality spiral ham for a holiday family meal. Most of the time, beef dominates our dinner table, since I have a freezer full of it, so it's nice to serve something out of the ordinary on a holiday menu.

But as much as I love ham - and the leftovers - I decided to go a different route for our small Easter dinner this year. 


Since our only guests were my parents, I opted to have a ham and cheese quiche as our main dish. It's usually something I make with my ham leftovers.

This year, I went directly to quiche for the main dish. Instead of leftover ham, I went with a package of cubed ham to jump start the recipe. It was super quick and easy, especially since I already had a pie crust in in the freezer. 

With spring and Easter on the mind, I still wanted the side dishes to have that springtime look and feel. This Spring Pea Salad went together quickly and was a delicious accompaniment to the festivities. I also did steamed carrots topped with Parmesan cheese and a fresh fruit salad. I had some homemade crescent rolls in the freezer. It made for a colorful and festive Easter plate!


 My usual go-to pea salad is a marinated version. I love it, too. 

  Marinated Vegetable Salad

But for this go-around, I opted for the creamy version often found at buffets or church potlucks. Sign me up for anything with sharp cheddar cheese! 

To make this salad even simpler, you can use high-quality packaged bacon bits instead of crisping it up yourself. While the original recipe called for red onion, I used green onions for a milder "bite."

For dessert, it was a family favorite - Lemonade Dessert. (After looking at my 2010 photo, I realize I need to take a new photo. But I promise: The recipe is a favorite among all my kids and granddaughters.)

While Easter is past, this salad would be a wonderful side dish for your next church potluck, BBQ or family gathering. 

Spring Pea Salad
Adapted from Mom on Timeout
16 ounces frozen peas
4 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, cubed
1/2 small red onion, diced (I used green onions for milder taste)
1/4 pound bacon, cooked and finely chopped

Dressing

1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Remove peas from freezer and place in a colander and allow to slightly thaw while preparing the dressing.
In a large bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, sour cream, sugar, apple cider vinegar, salt, and black pepper. Add the peas, bacon, cheddar cheese, and red onion and fold/stir to combine. Chill the salad for at least one hour before serving. The salad can be made up to 3 days in advance. 
Note: You may substitute packaged real bacon bits to make this salad go together even more quickly.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment