Thursday, February 16, 2023

CrockPot Swiss Chicken and Stuffing

I'm a fan of Crockpot cooking. 
 
Fix it.
Forget it for several hours.
Add some sides.
Enjoy a hot dinner with minimal effort.
 
I saw the recipe for CrockPot Swiss Chicken and Stuffing from Plowing through Life in a Facebook link. Thinking it might be a nice alternative for a "holiday" meal for just Randy and me, I tried it out. Though beef is our usual go-to meat, it was a tasty addition to the CrockPot meals I keep on standby.
 
I made it again when chicken breasts were on sale at my local grocery store. I put it in before going downstairs to work, and the CrockPot did the work for me.  I added green beans and a salad and viola! Dinner was ready with minimal effort and mess.

Crockpot Swiss Chicken and Stuffing
Adapted from Plowing Through Life 
 
3 to 4 chicken breasts
6-8 slices Swiss cheese (or equivalent amount of grated Swiss cheese)
1 can cream of chicken soup
1/4 cup chicken broth (or water with bouillon)
1 box stuffing mix
1/4 cup butter, melted
 
Line Crockpot with liner or spray with nonstick cooking spray. 
 
Put chicken in bottom of crockpot in a single layer. Place at least one slice of cheese on each piece of chicken. (I had some Swiss cheese in a block leftover from another recipe. I just grated a good amount of top of the chicken. I probably used more cheese than the original recipe called for.) Mix cream of chicken soup and the broth. Pour over chicken. Sprinkle stuffing over soup layer. Pour melted butter over stuffing.
 
Cover and cook on low for 3 to 4 hours. 
 
Note: This was the second time I made this recipe. The first time, I cooked it 3 hours or so and the stuffing didn't get as dark on top. This time, it cooked at least 4 hours. (I should have checked it a little earlier.) It tasted great; it just got a little dark on top.
 
Plowing through Life (a blog from a farm in Ohio) says you can convert this recipe to the oven. Use 6 to 8 small chicken breasts and the same amount of stuffing and other ingredients.  Bake in a 9 x 13 pan for 45 to 55 minutes or until a digital meat thermometer reads 165ºF.
 
Serve with veggies and a salad.  

This was when I left it to cook about 4 hours. I would suggest the 3-hour cooking time - or, at least, check it. I was downstairs in the office and didn't check it until noon.

2 comments: