Monday, May 17, 2010

Everything's Better with Chocolate


Research tells us 14 out of any 10 individuals like chocolate.
Sandra Boynton

So true, isn't it?

I had to make a couple of cakes for a United Methodist Men potato bar recently.

I know what you're thinking. How come the women folk had to make cake for a men's event?!

Well, I was being nice to my husband, who was in charge of arranging for the desserts. And the men really did do the rest of the dinner.
  • They scrubbed the potatoes (a job I hate!).
  • They made the chili.
  • They cooked some broccoli (lots and LOTS of broccoli. They made enough broccoli that they wanted to know if it could be refrozen. Uh - probably not.)
  • They fried up bacon (PLENTY of bacon).
  • They diced green onion.
  • They opened a can and, viola, cheese sauce!
  • They served the meal.
  • AND they even cleaned up!
So I was fine with making a couple of cakes.

Since I was making them after I had helped Randy all morning, I didn't feel guilty about using a cake mix as a base. Actually, I wouldn't have felt guilty anyway.

This is one that's always a hit.

Caramel-Fudge Chocolate Cake
1 pkg. (18. 25 oz.) chocolate cake mix
1 cup miniature semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 jar (12.25 oz.) caramel ice cream topping, warmed
1 jar (11.75 oz.) chocolate or hot fudge ice cream topping, warmed
1 carton (8 oz) frozen whipped topping, thawed
1/2 cup English toffee bits or almond brickle chips (OPT.)

Prepare cake batter according to package directions. Add chocolate chips. Pour into a greased 9- by 13- by 2-inch baking pan. Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Remove and place on a wire rack to cool. Immediately poke holes in the cake with a meat fork or skewer. Spread caramel and fudge toppings over cake. Cool completely. Frost with whipped topping. Store in refrigerator. Yield: 12-15 servings.

Note: I almost never buy the toppings in the jars. I have both caramel and chocolate syrups on hand. So I guesstimate how much to pour on the warm cake. And the squeeze bottles make it easier to decorate (see below).

To decorate:

If desired, sprinkle with toffee bits (and you can add more mini chocolate chips).

My family is not wild about toffee bits. Plus, I always think decorating the top of the cake with additional caramel and chocolate toppings makes a beautiful cake to take to an event.

It's way easier than it looks.

First, make chocolate squiggles across the cake. As you can see, they definitely don't have to be perfect.


Then make caramel squiggles going in the opposite direction.


Then, take a knife and gently drag the knife through the chocolate and caramel and the top of the whipped topping.


Doesn't it look festive?

I don't usually bring home much of this cake when I take it to a potluck dinner. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. That looks delicious and yummy!! Tell your sister to bring it to our next church potluck :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is delicious. I can verify that!!!!

    ReplyDelete