Sunday, May 9, 2010

Happy Mother's Day!

Happy Mother's Day to my mom! She became a mom for the first time at age 21 when she had me.

It seems so young to me, but, by then, she was an old married lady. She married her high school sweetheart (my dad) at age 17 just after graduating from high school.

I was the first of four. Yes, I'm the oldest, as my younger siblings are eager to point out.

She did her practicing on me. And she did a good job, if I do say so myself. (No comments from you other three!)

I was really blessed to grow up with parents who loved each other and loved me. Thanks for the encouragement to do my best. Thanks for all those pages of Little House on the Prairie. Thanks for all the trips to the library. Thanks for all those piano and voice lessons. Thanks for being a 4-H leader (even if you were tougher on us than the others!) Thanks for teaching me to cook (even if it wasn't your favorite thing. Randy thanks you, too!) Thanks for a great education. Thanks for great advice (which I seem to keep asking for today).

Have you ever noticed that your parents get smarter the older you get? By now, my Mom is really smart.

So Happy Mother's Day, Mom!

For all the times you said, "Yes."
For all the times you said, "No."
All the times you said, "I'll help"
All the times you said, "Here's how."
For all the times you said, "You can do it,"
followed by "Great job!"
For all the times
And all the ways
You've said, "I love you."
Thank you -
a thousand times over!

And thanks to a couple of kids who made me a Mom. It's the best job I've ever had.


Thanks for all the memories and moments that make life special here on the County Line.


(Wedding Photos by Gina Dreher at Gingeroot Studios, Wichita)

Thanks to the guy who made me a mother-in-law!


And speaking of mothers-in-law, I had a pretty great one. I just wish I'd had her for longer.

(It looks like we caught the guys by surprise in this photo from 1989.)

2 comments:

  1. Your mom is just beautiful! Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A few tears in my eyes from that last picture. (But then chuckling over the look on Dad's face!)

    ReplyDelete