Monday, May 10, 2010

Mother's Day, Part II

I got my best Mother's Day gift of all time 22 years ago today. No, it wasn't actually on Mother's Day but the Tuesday after it in 1988.

He's the one who made our family complete. He made Jill a big sister and gave his Dad and me a son.

For the past 22 years, Mother's Day has always played second fiddle to a very special birthday. And that's OK because that's part of being a Mom.

My Peter Pan is all grown up now ...

but on this special day, the memories flood back and I remember the days from the time he was a tiny baby and all the steps in between that made him the man he is today.

Brent's May 10th birthday and Mother's Day always fall within days of each other. Mother's Day weekend usually meant a birthday party with a bunch of boys playing Xbox in the basement.

It meant a birthday cookie instead of cake for my kid who doesn't like frosting (How did that happen with my frosting-loving genes!) It meant dishing up homemade peanut butter cup ice cream after a party with family at Elroy's Pizza.

He's a dreamer of dreams ... and I pray they all come true.


He keeps me laughing ... his dry wit and potent sense of humor can pretty much always make me smile.

He's a reader, a writer, a lover of all things K-State, a college sports fanatic.

Even though he looks like a tough guy ...

He's got a tender heart.

He's the best boy a Mom could have.

Happy Birthday, Bub!



1 comment:

  1. Happy Birthday, Brent! I'd say that was a pretty great gift!!

    ReplyDelete