Tunnel Vision

Tunnel Vision

Saturday, July 3, 2010

As American As ...

Admit it. You thought I was going to say, "As American as apple pie."

Randy probably would have been happier if I'd made an apple pie. He would have been ecstatic if I'd made a blueberry pie. (OK, honey. I promise I'll do that soon, especially since the price of fresh blueberries has hit a summertime low.)

But, in this case, I'm thinking "As American as a potluck." Or maybe "As American as chocolate." OK, chocolate probably isn't all that American, but what red-blooded American male or female doesn't like chocolate?

I'm combining "potluck" and "chocolate" today. My brother and sister-in-law invited us to a potluck and fireworks display at Elm Mills south of Pratt this evening. I think Kent and Suzanne felt sorry for me when I said that our little fireworks display at the Stafford Lake was inexplicably canceled this year.

My contribution to the potluck will be a couple of different kinds of cookies. They stretch further on a potluck line than a pie.

I made Brownies for a Crowd (click on the name, if you want the recipe). Brent is coming home later today and will be going to a friend's house in Lyons for July 4th. It makes a sheet cake pan full of brownies, so there will be plenty to share both tonight and with Brent's friends.

I frosted them and decorated them with red, white and blue star sprinkles in honor of the occasion.

(Caveat: I didn't wait until the brownies were completely cool to frost and cut. Someone - who shall remain nameless - was ready for a sample. But you get the idea!)

I also made Clipper Bars. It's a recipe from my sister-in-law Kathy's sister-in-law, Karen. (Are you confused with all the family connections?) I love the simplicity of bar cookies, and these combine chocolate and peanut butter. Yum!

And, if you use your imagination, you can think the mini M and Ms represent the exploding colors of Independence Day fireworks.

Enjoy! Have a safe and wonderful 4th of July!

Clipper Bars
2 cups quick-cooking oatmeal
1 cup flour
1 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup butter
1/2 tsp. soda
1/2 tsp. salt
14-oz. can sweetened condensed milk
1/3 cup peanut butter
1 cup mini M and Ms (or you can use chocolate chips)

Combine and beat until crumbly the oats, flour, brown sugar, butter, soda and salt. Reserve 1 1/2 cups; press remaining crumbs into 9- by 13-inch pan. Stir together condensed milk and peanut butter. Pour over crust. Sprinkle with M and Ms. Pat remaining crumbs on top. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes. Cool and cut into bars.


  1. Made the Clipper Bars,huge hit. Will definitely be added to my recipes of must makes.

  2. Glad they turned out well!