Tuesday, March 2, 2010

A Chocolatey Treat


I made brownies for Stafford Elementary School's Daddy-Daughter dance last Friday. The school's Site Council has sponsored this evening event for the past couple of years. They didn't have the Daddy-Daughter Dance back when Jill was grade-school aged. If they had, I'm sure it would have been a favorite event for my girly girl.

I chose a recipe that makes enough brownies for a 11- by 15-inch jelly roll pan, and I just needed to contribute a 13- by 9-inch pan.

So one of the best "Daddys" I know got a few brownies, too.

He didn't even have to dance for them!

The recipe was from Minnye Weers, another of my "Cook of the Week" ladies from my days writing features at The Hutchinson News. When I knew Minnye, she lived at Stafford's rest home, Leisure Homestead.

She was known as the Cookie Lady. She used the kitchen in an activity room at the rest home and baked hundreds of cookies. She baked for other residents. She baked for special events. She baked just to bake.

It makes a good sturdy brownie, which I knew was important for getting out of the pan and serving to all the Daddies and Daughters in their fancy dance clothes.



But if you're looking for an ooey, gooey version of a brownie, I've also included the recipe for Praline Saucepan Brownies. They are oh-so-good, oh-so-decadent (sorry, no photo of them today!)

Enjoy!

Brownies for the Crowd
2 cups plus 2 tbsp. flour
1 1/4 tsp. salt
2 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp. cocoa
2 1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 1/4 cups oil
5 eggs
1/4 cup plus 1 tbsp. water

Cream together sugar and oil. Add vanilla, water and eggs, mixing well. Add dry ingredients, mixing well. Put into a prepared 11- by 15-inch jelly roll pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes or until brownies test done.

I often throw in some chocolate chips to the batter before baking these brownies. (I didn't this time because they just wanted plain brownies for the dance.)

Minnye also included a frosting recipe with the brownies. I didn't frost the brownies either. And if I make an icing, I don't use marshmallows like the original recipe calls for. But, here it is, just in case you want to go all out:

Icing:
1/4 cup milk
15 large marshmallows
1/4 cup cocoa
2 cups powdered sugar
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla

Heat milk, marshmallows and cocoa in double boiler until melted (I would use the microwave). Cool slightly. Add powdered sugar and vanilla. Beat until of spreading consistency.

Praline Saucepan Brownies
1 cup butter or margarine
3/4 cup cocoa
2 1/4 cups sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
3 eggs
1 1/4 cups flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking powder
Topping:
3/4 cup chopped pecans
3 tbsp. butter, melted
3/4 cup brown sugar

Brownies: Melt butter in saucepan over low heat; stir in cocoa, blending well. Remove from heat; cool slightly. Add sugar, vanilla, salt and eggs. Beat until thoroughly mixed. Add dry ingredients; mix well. Spread batter into prepared 13- by 9-inch pan. Top with topping (below). bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until tester is almost dry. Cool and cut into squares.

Topping: Combine all ingredients. Sprinkle on top of batter before baking.

2 comments:

  1. She was my person I visited at the rest home for school. Did we call them adopted grandparents?? It was either through home ec or FHA. I feel old when I can't remember things!

    ReplyDelete