Thursday, November 25, 2010

For Good

I'll be a guest at the party today, rather than hosting it. Our family gathering is at my sister and brother-in-law's in Clay Center.

But, like many families, we all bring part of the meal. My contributions are homemade crescent rolls and pies, so I spent a lot of the day yesterday working in the kitchen.

As I was mixing and kneading, I was listening to the soundtrack from the musical, "Wicked." If you haven't seen it, you might think that listening to such an "album" on the eve of Thanksgiving might be sacrilege.

But the story is about looking beyond the outside "package" and seeing people's hearts. I love the song, "For Good."

I was making Grandma Leonard's pumpkin pie. I was making dinner rolls, a task my Grandma Neelly often did before a family dinner.

And, as I listened to the lyrics, I thought it was the perfect song for remembering my Grandmas and others who have passed on from this earth (including my grandpas and my in-laws).

Even though they are no longer here to celebrate Thanksgiving, I was continuing traditions they put in place long ago.

The words to "For Good" are, in part:

I've heard it said
That people come into our lives

For a reason

Bringing something we must learn

And we are led to those who help us most to grow

If we let them

And we help them in return

Now I don't know if I believe that's true

But I know I'm who I am today because I knew you


... It well may be that we will never meet again

In this lifetime

So let me say before we part

So much of me is what I learned from you

You'll be with me, like a handprint on my heart


... Who can say if I've been changed for the better

But because I knew you,

I have been changed for good.


So, on this Thanksgiving, I pray you have been blessed with many family members and friends who came into your life and changed you For Good. I know I am giving thanks for every single one of those people today ... the ones in Heaven and the ones still here on Earth.

Wishing you and yours a wonderful Thanksgiving!




*** *** ***
Thanksgiving
By Ralph Waldo Emerson

For each new morning with its light,


For rest and shelter of the night.


For health and food,


For love and friends


For everything Thy goodness sends.



Father in heaven, We thank You.



No comments:

Post a Comment