Friday, November 5, 2010

Sloppy Jose Supper


OK. I realize the name is a little over-the-top. I plead innocent: I didn't make it up.

But this new recipe was a fiesta of flavor that won approval from my dinner companion.

Even though it's called a "supper," I served it to Randy for the noon meal. And I did make a few variations from the original recipe, which was another one from the latest "Taste of Home" magazine. I am getting my money's worth from this issue!

This was another quick-to-prepare meal, which is always helpful on the County Line (for those of us who have to help move cattle, shuffle people from one place to the other, and ... oh yeah ... have time for important things like blogging.)

I already had browned hamburger with minced onion in the refrigerator from another meal. Even though the original recipe called for red pepper, celery and onions to be cooked while browning the hamburger, I just softened the veggies in the microwave and added them to the already-browned meat.

Enjoy!

Sloppy Jose Supper
1 pkg. (8.5 oz.) corn bread muffin mix
1 lb. lean ground beef
1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
1/3 cup chopped onion
1 celery rib, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced (I used jarred minced garlic)
1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, chopped
1 tsp. chili powder
1/2 to 1 tsp. ground cumin
1 1/4 cups salsa (I used mild, but you can select your own heat level!)
2 tbsp. chili sauce
2/3 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
Sour cream

Note: I couldn't find chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, even when I looked in Hutchinson. So I used fire-roasted red peppers. I also think you could leave them out entirely.

Prepare and bake cornbread according to package directions. Note: I did throw in a handful of cheese to the batter. If you wanted spicier cornbread, you could also add some chopped jalapenos.

Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook the beef, red pepper, onion and celery over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the garlic, chipotle pepper, chili powder and cumin; cook 1 minute longer.

Stir in salsa and chili sauce; simmer for 3 to 5 minutes or until slightly thickened.

Cut cornbread into squares. Top each square with beef mixture, sprinkle with cheese and top with sour cream.

True confessions: The original recipe said you should cut the cornbread into 9 pieces and then set aside four of the pieces for another use. That would not be an acceptable amount of food for Randy, so you can judge your family's appetites accordingly. I probably served him 1/4 of the cornbread and 1/4 of the meat mixture for his dinner, which I then paired with a green salad.

He looked forward to some of the leftovers for supper, which, I suppose, would truly make it a Sloppy Jose Supper.

1 comment:

  1. I mis-read the title--thought it said "Lime Sloppy Jose Supper!! Thought that sounded great!! That's what 75 year-old vision will do for you!! But I thought a person could just squeeze some lime over the top of it! The Uptown has been including lime slices with some of their "mexican" salads. A good addition! This recipe sounds really good!

    Jane T

    ReplyDelete