Friday, November 19, 2010

Pumpkin Cranberry Bread


Thanksgiving is just around the corner. And when you think about the flavors of Thanksgiving, pumpkin and cranberries probably top the list for traditional fare.

Both of these perennial holiday favorites - along with pumpkin pie spice - are central ingredients in this recipe.

I baked this for the first time before our church's annual bazaar. I used mini loaf pans, so I had more loaves to sell - and one to leave home at home, of course. You wouldn't want me to sell it without trying it, would you?

This one will definitely find a place in my recipe file. Enjoy!

Pumpkin Cranberry Bread
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tbsp. plus 2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
2 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 tsp. salt
3 cups sugar
1 15-oz. can pumpkin
4 large eggs
1 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup orange juice
1 cup fresh, frozen or dried cranberries

Note: I used frozen. I always buy extra cranberries when they are on sale during the holiday season.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour loaf pans (I used cooking spray.) Combine flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda and salt in large bowl. Combine sugar, pumpkin, eggs, oil and juice in another large mixer bowl. Beat until just blended. Add flour mixture to pumpkin mixture, stirring just until moistened. Fold in cranberries. Spoon batter into prepared loaf pans and bake until wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes; remove from pans and allow to cool completely on wire racks.

For two 9- by 5-inch loaves, bake for 60 to 65 minutes.

For three 8- by 4-inch loaf pans, bake for 55 to 60 minutes.

For five or six 5- by 3-inch loaf pans, bake for 20 to 25 minutes.

4 comments:

  1. Kim,
    Am going to make this today. No doubt it will be great just like all your other recipes. I really enjoy your posts.
    Anita DeWeese

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope it turns out well for you, too! Thanks so much for reading and for stopping by and making a comment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kim,
    It turned out great I substituted 1/2 cup applesauce for 1/2 cup of the oil. Have been printing all your recipes off and making a "Kim Cookbook" by putting them in page protectors and a 3 ring binder. Thanks.
    Anita DeWeese

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad it turned out, Anita! Halving the oil is a great idea. I'll have to make a note on my recipe to do that, too. I'm flattered that I have my own cookbook at your house! Happy Thanksgiving! I've got my rolls made and pies done. We'll be going to Lisa's for the day, then on to our daughter's for the weekend. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete