Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Ole!

I know my Mexican meal offerings aren't authentic. But they are highly requested meals around here.

When Brent was home, he asked for chicken enchiladas one night. I used a recipe from my friend Katie Minks, who brought them to a church potluck and then shared the recipe for Jill and Eric's Family and Friends Cookbook.

I always cook more when my kids are home. Randy and I eat leftovers after they are gone, but I like making "fresh" meals for the kids. It's not that they won't eat leftovers: They do. But I guess it's just in the Mom code - at least, this Mom's code!

Having Brent home in late May gave me an opportunity to put some meals in the freezer for harvest, too. I doubled the enchilada recipe and put half in the freezer. I also have BBQ Meatballs in my freezer stash. It will be great to be able to pull a meal or two out of the freezer during the busy days of harvest.

Enjoy!

Creamy Chicken Enchiladas
1 small onion, chopped
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can Rotel tomatoes, undrained
1 cup sour cream
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
2 cups cooked, chunked chicken
6 flour tortillas

Saute onion in a little olive oil or butter until tender. Remove from heat. Add soup, tomatoes, sour cream, 3/4 cup of each cheese; mix well. Put 1/4 cup on each tortilla; top with 1/3 cup chicken. Roll up tightly.

Put a thin layer of the remaining soup mixture in the bottom of a 13- by 9-inch pan that's been sprayed with cooking spray. Place filled enchiladas, seam-side down, on top of the soup mixture. Cover with the remaining soup mixture. Top with remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, for 20 to 25 minutes at 350 degrees.

Dress baked enchiladas as desired, using shredded lettuce, guacamole, sour cream, salsa, etc. Serve with refried beans, Mexican rice and chips.

Recipe Notes:
  • I chopped up some green onion and sauted them instead of using a small onion.
  • I used shredded cheese that already combined several cheeses, so I just added 1 1/2 cups of that to the soup mixture.
  • I didn't measure the remaining cheese. I just sprinkled it liberally on top and baked it. (I'm sure I used more than the remaining 1/2 cup.)
  • We like chicken breast, so I just cooked it in the microwave until done and then chopped it.
I used guacamole that I'd purchased at the store. But when we were in Omaha during Mother's Day weekend, Jill made a homemade guacamole. Check back tomorrow for that recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment