Thursday, June 6, 2013

Snippets and Snapshots


It’s funny what happens when you become a grandparent. You start to act all goofy and do things you never thought you’d do. It’s terrific.
 ~ Mike Krzyzewski
Who would have ever thought I'd use a photo with my mouth gaping wide open as my Facebook profile? Not me. But when I was looking through the 193 photos I took when Kinley visited with her parents this past weekend, I decided it was the perfect shot. As my friend, Carrie, succinctly put it: "JOY!"

Yep. That's it all right.

Randy and I were both anxiously awaiting their arrival Friday night. Randy wanted to introduce our new crop of kittens to a girl with an outstanding repertoire of animal sounds, including a fine "Meow!"
Photo: Kinley meets some kittens.
Grandchildren are the dots that connect the lines from generation to generation.
 ~Lois Wyse
During this trip, Kinley discovered her own personal race track. A two-doored bathroom makes for a perfect looping path through the bathroom, kitchen, dining room and living room.

She dashed around it on foot ...
... being pushed in Mommy's and Uncle Brent's old Little Tykes car (by four different "motors," I might add) ...
... and she used the same path for her grocery cart.
Kinley loved the swing in the backyard, whether it was flying solo or hitching a ride with Grandma, Grandpa or Mommy.
I was surprised she knew just what to do with a phone that is nothing like the phones her parents have.

But she did. (Yes, we still have that kind of phone - for real - here at our old farmhouse.)
I loved watching my little girl as a Mommy.

And it was fun to bring out bigger toys from Jill's past for Kinley to explore.
I didn't take time to find a photo of Jill playing with her kitchen. But I found one from the wedding slide show of Eric playing in his kitchen, once upon a time.
A grandchild fills a space in your heart that you never knew was empty.
Anonymous
At church, we discovered several of our friends were also entertaining grandchildren for the weekend. All our own children started coming to Stafford United Methodist Church when they were itty-bitty. And here were their kids ... our grandkids.
Steve & Tami Brensing had Reagan and Rylee; Boyd & Kim Volker had Bryson and Liam.
As you can see, it wasn't the easiest thing to get a photo. I don't think we were all looking in the same direction in any one frame, though Randy and Steve get the prize for being the most consistent. But it didn't matter a bit.
Children are born.
Traditions are passed.
The love continues.
Sharon Bibby

12 comments:

  1. love your blog Kim!!! You are so talented!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Vi! I appreciate your words of encouragement.

      Delete
  2. I LOVE IT!!!! So glad we had the chance to have all the kids there on the same day!!! It was so much fun!
    Grandparenting is still the best! Tami

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought our attempts at getting everyone looking in the same direction at the same time were quite comical. I guess that's what happens with 5 children ages 3 and younger (and their grandparents)! Fun, fun!

      Delete
  3. What fun to see all those grandkids together with "kids" from my childhood! The downside is you all make me feel a bit old since our oldest granddaughter turns 14 this summer. Of course, I believe we started our family a bit earlier than anyone in the picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. None of the grandchildren live in Stafford, so it was just happenstance that they all ended up here at the same time. I'm sure I'll find grandparenting kind of like parenthood. I liked most every age for my kids.

      Delete
  4. Your words and photos splash pure joy.

    Delighted to meet you today. I hope you don't mind if I splash around a bit to get to know you. This looks like a refreshing place to dip into goodness.

    Splashin.
    Sarah

    http://justsarahdawn.blogspot.com/2013/06/on-daddys-toes.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by. I just returned the favor and hope to go back soon.

      Delete
  5. The grandparent pic is hilarious! Love Liam and Rylee's squishy and laughing faces! Aren't they supposed to be the oldest and most cooperative?! Ha! Ya right! So cute-all of them and grandparents too!

    Holly Ferguson

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such fun to have all the grandkids there at one time. Your girls are adorable!

      Delete
  6. I am just now catching up on blog reading- and I haven't updated mine in SO long! I love this!! I totally agree with the Grandma thing. I do some pretty goof things with Kahlan, and we both love it. Hope all is well with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear from you! It appears via Facebook that you are adding another grandchild. What fun!

      Delete