Friday, June 21, 2013

Summertime, And the Livin' Is ...

I noticed these pretty purple blooms among the sunflowers as I delivered my Father's Day treats to my Dad last Friday. I haven't seen them around here. I love purple and yellow together!
"Summertime and the livin' is easy" - or so says the song from Porgy and Bess

Today is the first official day of summer. Time will tell, but it also may be the first day of Wheat Harvest 2013. I don't think the song lyrics apply to wheat harvest, unless, of course, you are baby kittens lazing in the mid-afternoon heat.
Notice the one on the far left with a big old yawn!
Randy plans to do some test cutting today. We'll see if the wheat is as ready as he is.  
Our golden waves of grain provide a pretty spectacular backdrop this time of year. But even the ditches are ready for their close-ups, especially with nice little rain showers (another 0.40" earlier this week).
I noticed Katherine's day lilies blooming in the backyard for the first time yesterday.
The trumpet vine (a gift from my husband) is painting orange against a bright blue summer sky on my backyard windmill ...

... just in time to greet the summer.  Ah, summertime. The livin' may not be easy. But it sure is pretty.

No comments:

Post a Comment