Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Peekaboo Flowers

Sometimes, I get blinded by the road before me. I'm hurrying to the next thing - whether that's picking up someone from the field or getting to town for a meeting. The dotted lines down the center of the blacktop can be hypnotizing - churning away the miles to get me to where I'm supposed to be.

Sometimes, I think it's my eyesight that fails me. I see the fluffy clouds dotting a bright blue sky, and I say a little prayer for that extra bit of beauty in my day. But the smaller things seem to elude my glasses-obscured peripheral vision.

That's when it's good to have a farmer who only needs glasses for reading. He sees some of those little things I miss. And he's good about sharing. Last week, he told me about some pretty purple blooms along the Raymond Road. He saw them while on a tractor, so it also put his line of sight above the CRP grasses. I had to go and see them for myself. 
Besides having an observant husband, I knew I could send a photo to my Master Gardener friend, Jeanie, and have the blossoms quickly identified. She says they are Dame's Rocket or hesperis matronalis, if you want to get all technical. Her seed catalog says that "hesperis" is Greek for evening, and the name was probably given because the scent of the flowers becomes more conspicuous towards evening. I can verify that, as I parked the car and waded through the ditch and downed tree limbs to see them up close.
This beautiful "crop" is likely at the site of an old farmstead. Jeanie says she's been seeing stands of these purple blossoms as she's delivered mail on rural routes in the last few weeks. 

Dame's rocket was brought from Europe in the 17th Century. In our neighboring Colorado, this member of the mustard family has been identified as a noxious weed (according to Wikipedia). I'm reminded of an A.A. Milne quote:
Weeds are flowers, too, once you get to know them. 
A.A. Milne
Author of Winnie the Pooh
They look like flowers to me. And beautiful ones at that.

4 comments:

  1. I love to take road trips and drive my little car. But when I'm the passenger, I see so much of my surroundings and love it!
    Beautiful surprises!
    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think part of why Randy saw them was because he was above them in the tractor cab. Maybe I need to take tractor road trips. I don't think I'd get far, though - ha!

      Delete
  2. Oh wow, what a beautiful sight. Our men do keep an eye out for a good photo opportunity! We have trained them well....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I often get calls from Randy about possible photos. It's good to have some help scouting out photogenic possibilities!

      Delete