Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Talking Turkey

Ham is on the County Line Easter menu. Jill and Eric are coming, and Jill says it's not Easter dinner without ham and cheesy potatoes.

But, depending upon how many other family members RSVP for the holiday meal, I may add Herbed Turkey Breast to the menu, too.

It is a recipe from my friend, Kelly Ballard. She shared the recipe for my cookbook project for Jill and Eric prior to their August 2009 wedding.

I've talked before about my massive, I'll-try-that-recipe-sometime pile. My back porch freezer defrost gave "sometime" the opportunity to arrive.

True confessions: The boned turkey breast was past its "best when used by" date. But the creamy sauce provided the additional moisture needed to resurrect the meat.

Even my beef-loving husband really liked this meal. I served it with stuffing (also from the freezer), a green salad and some lightly sauted zucchini.

The hardest part of this recipe was getting the garden-flavored cream cheese. My local grocery store didn't have it, so I had to wait until I went out of town for that ingredient. It was definitely worth the wait.

Enjoy - whether you use it for Easter dinner or an everyday meal!

Herbed Turkey Breast
1 turkey breast (4-5 pounds)
2 tbsp. butter or margarine
1/4 cup garden vegetable-flavored whipped cream cheese
1 tbsp. soy sauce
1 tbsp. fresh minced parsley
1/2 tsp. each basil leaves, rubbed sage and thyme
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
1/4 tsp. garlic powder

Place turkey in Crock pot. Combine remaining ingredients and brush over turkey. Cover and cook on Low for 10 to 12 hours or High for 5 to 6 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment