Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Candy Corn M & M Cookies

Candy corn is one of those polarizing foods. You either really like candy corn. Or you don't.

But even if you don't like traditional candy corn, you will likely enjoy these Candy Corn M & M Macadamia Nut Cookies. I'd never tried the Candy Corn M & Ms until I saw the recipe and wanted to add them to my list of cookies to make for the United Methodist Bazaar earlier this month. I found them in the candy aisle at a discount store, but I'm guessing they will only be around until Thanksgiving since it seems to be a seasonal flavor and color.

The M & Ms have a white chocolate flavor. The orange, yellow and white candy coatings make these cookies a pretty addition to a snack table for any fall gathering from Halloween through Thanksgiving.

I hope you enjoy them - whether you like traditional candy corn or not!

Candy Corn M & M Macadamia Nut Cookies
Adapted from Something Swanky blog
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup macadamia nuts, roughly chopped
3/4 cup Candy Corn M & Ms
1/4 cup white chocolate chips

Cream together shortening and sugars until well blended. Add the egg and vanilla, mixing well. Mix together the dry ingredients. Add to creamed mixture. Mix until smooth dough forms. Using a wooden spoon, stir in nuts, M&Ms and white chocolate chips.

Use a cookie scoop to form cookies, placing on baking sheets that have been sprayed with non-stick spray. If you want to make sure some of the M & Ms show (for prettier cookies), save a few to place on top of the shaped cookies. Bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes. Let cool briefly on cookie sheet before removing to rack to cool.

Note:
  • I doubled this recipe. I always use the philosophy: Make the mess once and get double the production! (Just use the whole bag of the M&Ms. You don't have to measure. If you don't want to double the nuts, that's OK, too. You can just just use 1 1/2 cups and it will turn out fine.)
  • You could also just add the Candy Corn M & Ms, macadamia nuts and white chocolate chips to a basic cookie dough. Many times, when I am baking cookies, I use this Back to Basics idea and get lots of different kinds of cookies with just one basic dough. 

2 comments:

  1. Candy Corn M & Ms, really? The Hubby and I are not huge candy corn fans. I would like to buy an bag try homemade butterfingers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They don't really taste like candy corn. I like chocolate ones better, but these are still good - and different. I saw the recipe for the homemade Butterfingers, too, but I haven't tried it yet.

      Delete