Friday, June 10, 2016

Cowboy Blondies

The race has been on to get the freezer stocked with cookies for wheat harvest. Kind of like Noah's Ark, I package them 2 X 2 in plastic bags and corral them in a 9 X 13 pan in the freezer, ready to pull out for suppers during harvest.

Cowboy Blondies made the "round up" this year. I remember Cowboy Cookies from an old church cookbook. They were drop cookies with coconut, oatmeal, and chocolate chips. I did my usual big drop cookie bake, tripling a tried-and-true recipe, dividing the dough and mixing in different add-ins to make a kaleidoscope of cookie flavors.

But I also made this new-to-me version of the old classic Cowboy Cookie drop cookie. Besides the traditional Cowboy Cookie ingredients, this version also has white chocolate chips. I like the convenience of bar cookies: Spread the dough in a pan and you're done. No filling, then washing, a bunch of cookie sheets.

While we haven't started harvest yet, I've had to pull a few bags from the freezer for suppers during alfalfa swathing and other pre-harvest chores. Lasso this recipe for harvest - or, if you're not headed to the field - just whip it together for a weekend or week-day treat.

Cowboy Blondies
Adapted from Bite Me More
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 cups flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup oatmeal
1 cup shredded coconut
3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
3/4 cup chopped white chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat 10- by 15-inch with cooking spray. Set aside.

Cream together butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla, mixing until well combined. Mix together flour, baking soda and salt. Add to creamed mixture, combining well. Add chocolate chips, oatmeal and coconut. Spread batter in prepared pan. Bake for 25-26 minutes or until golden brown on top. Let cool and cut into bars.

***
Today, I'm linked to Weekend Potluck, hosted by these bloggers. Check out the tried-and-true recipes from them and other foodies!

6 comments:

  1. Yummy!! I'm gonna make me some. thanks
    MB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Made them today and they are good---I seem to be a muncher of the good stuff so I have to put them away.
      MB

      Delete
  2. Life certainly never stands still on the farm. The biscuits sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, it doesn't, Helen. We will start wheat harvest this week if the weather cooperates. We had a rain shower this AM. Later in the week, it looks hot and dry though.

      Delete