Friday, June 17, 2016

It Takes A Real Man To Be A Daddy

Brent's first harvest - 1988
 
The Dads in my life likely won't sit in their recliners on Father's Day unless there's a surprise rain storm. Their favorite way to spend their special day is in a Kansas wheat field, cutting a crop that's taken 9 months to grow.

In a way, it's like raising kids, I suppose.
Good, honest, hardheaded character is a function of the home. If the proper seed is sown there and properly nourished for a few years, it will not be easy for that plant to be uprooted.
~George A. Dorsey
Jill & Randy, Harvest 1987
Just as in farming, there are plenty of variables in parenting. Fortunately, the weather isn't one of them (unless you're the Father of the Bride worried about the weather ruining your princess' big day).
Gina Dreher Photography, Wichita, KS, 2009
It's Dad's special weekend. But, I'm thankful every day for the "Daddys" in my life.
Happy Father's Day to my Daddy.

We are thankful for our son-in-law, Eric, who is a great Daddy to his two girls.
And on this Father's Day weekend, we also celebrate the memory of my father-in-law. I owe a debt of gratitude to Melvin and Marie for raising the fine man I married. He couldn't have been a better Daddy to our kids.


Any fool can be a father,
but it takes a real man to be a Daddy.
Philip Whitmore, Sr.

Happy Daddy's Day!
Daddys make pretty great Grandpas, too!
 
This is a shorter version of a blog post from 2010. To read the whole thing, click HERE.

6 comments:

  1. Our day isn't until September.
    I love the pic of Granddad and Granddaughters in front of the fire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's actually our two kids when they were little. I've always loved that photo.

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful tribute to the dad's in your life. I love the photo of Randy and Jill laughing on the dance floor. Capturing that special moment between father and bride is priceless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one of my favorite photos from the day!

      Delete