Friday, March 26, 2010

Oh! The Places You'll Go!


Oh! The Places I'll Go ... or not.

Hidden among the bills, newspapers and magazines that arrived on the County Line this week was a special envelope. It contained my first-ever passport.

The accompanying pamphlet declared: With your U.S. Passport, the World is Yours!

Wow, the world is mine!! So where am I off to, you might ask?

Nowhere is the answer.

But I'll be prepared if ever the opportunity arises sometime before March 2020.

As Dr. Seuss reminded us in his last book:

"Congratulations!
Today is your day.
You’re off to Great Places!
You’re off and away! ...

Oh! The Places You’ll Go!
You’ll be on your way up!
You’ll be seeing great sights!
You’ll join the high fliers
who soar to high heights. ...

So…be your name Buxbaum or Bixby or Bray
or Mordecai Ale Van Allen O’Shea,
you’re off to Great Places!
Today is your day!
Your mountain is waiting.
So…get on your way!"

Even if your name is Fritzemeier. And even if you don't have a plan to leave the country anytime soon. And even if there is no way in the world that all those pages in that little passport book have any hope at all of ever being filled.

So why apply? Randy is on the Kansas Association of Wheat Growers board. At one of their meetings, someone suggested that board members apply for a U.S. passport.

You never know when there might be a trade mission to China or a chance to tour a wheat farm in Australia. ... Well, it might happen.

For the moment, the passport is going into the safety deposit box.

But I have it. And the possibilities are fun to ponder.

5 comments:

  1. I'd go any place with you !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm on my 4th passport and this one has extra pages added in. yet the "where have you been" web site says I've only seen 8% of the world. You've got to be KIDDING me. So where you goin???

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH . . .and it was me by the way. Darci

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now that you have it you HAVE to go somewhere!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh man, well I suggest that you at least consider foreign travel for leisure sake. I get so claustrophobic if I don't leave the US, once every two years or so. World is a great place. I feel so inspired and refreshed when I come back.

    ReplyDelete