Friday, April 23, 2010

Recipe Box


Do any of the rest of you ever get in recipe ruts? I do.

I have several go-to recipes I can throw together quickly with minimum thought. I am always trying to get "just one more thing" done before I start dinner preparations, so I tend to go with tried and true recipes.

However, this recipe is a fairly new one here on the County Line. It came from Jill's Longitude and Ladditude blog. Randy is a big fan (maybe because it ISN'T one of those old reliables on my regular rotation!)

I have modified it a bit. For some reason, both Jill and Brent have a tendency to like things a bit spicier than their Dad and me. It must be a generational thing.

I like things a bit spicier than my Dad. His idea of spicy is barbecue sauce. Well, it's probably not quite that bad, but you get the idea.

Randy and I are usually content with mild salsa, which the kids think is mighty wimpy on our part. So, you can adjust spices according to your preferences.

Here's the recipe for Chuckwagon Tortilla Stack, just in time for weekend cooking.

Chuckwagon Tortilla Stack
1 lb. hamburger
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
Minced onion to taste
1 can (16 oz.) baked beans
1 can (14.5 oz.) stewed tomatoes
1 can (4 oz.) green chilies (opt.)
1/4 cup BBQ sauce
3 tsp. chili powder (adjust to taste)
4 flour tortillas
1 1/3 cups shredded cheese (I use a Mexican blend)

In a skillet, brown beef, garlic powder and onion until meat is no longer pink; drain well. Add beans, tomatoes, chilies and chili powder. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until liquid is reduced.

Coat a 9-inch-square baking dish with cooking spray. Put a small amount of the meat mixture on the bottom of the pan, just to coat the pan. Top with one tortilla. Spread with about 1 1/2 cups meat mixture. Sprinkle with 1/3 cup cheese. (I usually don't measure the meat and the cheese. I just "eyeball" it and try to divide into four equal parts, but this gives you a rough idea of how much to use.) Repeat the layers 3 times.

Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes until the cheese is melted, tortillas are heated through and cheese is bubbly. I have also used the microwave to cook the casserole, and that works great, too.

You can top the "stack" with lettuce, tomatoes, olives, sour cream or other toppings as desired. I usually just serve a tossed green side salad with lots of veggies and some feta cheese.


Enjoy your weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment