Tuesday, April 1, 2014

No Bieber, But We Have Mug Shots

A picture is worth a thousand words. 
Honestly, it's not a saying to which I often ascribe, since I can ramble on and on about pretty much anything.
I can't even let a simple little phrase go without throwing in more words. When I looked up the origin, some attributed it to Napoleon. However, another source said the earliest example was from the text of an instructional talk given by the newspaper editor Arthur Brisbane to the Syracuse Advertising Men's Club in March 1911:
"Use a picture. It's worth a thousand words."
Today, I'm testing the theory by using mug shots of some of the cuties on our farm this spring.
You have to admit they are cuter than those mug shots that were splashed all over the internet and television of Justin Bieber.

FYI:  In the newspaper business they are also called "head shots" "portraits" and "thumbnails."
No matter what you call them, these little faces are rather "arresting," don't you think?



***
And, one more arresting face this morning. My Dad turns 80 today and that's no April Fool's joke. He didn't want to make a big deal about it, but I'll still wish him a very Happy Birthday!


***
I'm linked to the Country Fair Blog Hop hosted by Tales of a Kansas Farm Mom, Dirt Road Charm and High Heels and Shot Gun Shells. Click on the links to check out their blogs. 

10 comments:

  1. There are some faces much cuter than others. We have a calf out of a first calf heifer that is a character. He is always running or jumping and the first to come right up and say hi.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They definitely have different personalities, don't they? I guess I'll be like a mother (or politician) and think they are all cute in their own way.

      Delete
  2. Love all the spring time babies! It's so much fun to watch them running and jumping around in the field! And those faces are adorable! Thanks for sharing.
    -Lori

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Lori! It's one of my favorite times of the year to see the babies romping in the pasture. Thanks for taking time to comment!

      Delete
  3. Love the baby cows. They are so curious and precious! Love pic #7! HA!
    Cheri
    Happy Birthday to your Dad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, #441 definitely has some personality. (He was lost at the time and calling for his mama in that photo.) I think Dad had a good Happy Birthday! Thanks for your well wishes.

      Delete
  4. Lol, Kim this is great. We also have lots of characters on our farm too! We've got one black brockle faced heifer amongst all the Hereford babies. I am pretty sure she is going to get into trouble a lot! Thanks for stopping by the blog and entering the giveaway.
    www.crystalcattle.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have an affinity for black white-faced calves, too. It's always amazing to me when they look like their mamas. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. Very cute and love the play on words! Our calves are due to be weaned in a few weeks, so they are in the awkward "teen age" stage. Very glad I clicked over to your blog! Loving it so far!
    www.countrylinked.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting, Laurie! Yes, our calves are still in the cute stage. We all have to live through those "teenage years," whether human or bovine.

      Delete