Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Power Bowl with Crispy Baked Garbanzo Beans

April has arrived. While I like soups all year 'round, it's also a time to think spring and main dish salads. Thankfully, my farmer likes salads, especially when they include homegrown beef.

I saw a recipe for Chicken Power Bowls on Iowa Girl Eats, a blog recommended to me by Jill's father-in-law, Alan, who works for Iowa State University Extension. Jill and I have both tried several of Kristin's recipes.

Kristin patterned her Chicken Power Bowls after the Panera version. Randy will eat chicken if that's what I offer, but in typical beef farmer fashion, he prefers red meat. I seasoned and grilled sirloin steak for this main dish salad. (You could also use your favorite marinade.)

We loved the crispy baked garbanzo beans so much that I bought another two cans so I could make more and add them to other salads. The next time I try them, I'll probably bake them just a little longer. I didn't want to burn them, but the ones that were crunchy inside and out were the tastiest. Plus, they need to be fairly dried out if you have any leftover for storage in an airtight container. They provided the crunch of croutons with more nutritional boost. Bonus!

I couldn't get chevre cheese at my local grocery store, so I substituted feta. However, by reading the comments on Iowa Girl Eats, goat cheese gives another dimension to this tasty main dish salad, so I'll likely try it again with the chevre once I get some at a larger store.

Notice those beautiful hard-cooked eggs with no unsightly green ring? If you cook them as recommended in the recipe directions, you, too, will have perfectly yellow eggs. Enjoy ... we did!
 Beef Power Bowls 
with Crispy Baked Garbanzo Beans
Adapted from Iowa Girl Eats blog
Serves 4
15 oz. can garbanzo beans (also called chickpeas)
About 16 oz. total Sirloin or T-bone steak
4 eggs
9 oz. spinach or other salad greens
1/2 cup shelled pistacios
1/2 cup dried cranberries
4 oz. chevre (goat cheese) or feta cheese

Lemon-Honey Vinaigrette
6 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
6 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp. honey
1 garlic clove, microplaned or minced
Salt & pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Drain garbanzo beans, then rinse and pat dry with a paper towel (the drier the better). Pour onto a baking sheet, then add extra virgin olive oil and toss to coat. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, stirring halfway through cooking, or until caramel in color. Beans will continue crisping as they cool. Sprinkle with salt, then set aside to cool completely. This can be done ahead of time; beans can be stored in an airtight container after they are completely cooled.

Place eggs in a saucepan then cover with cold water 1 inch above the tops of eggs. Bring to a boil, place a lid on top, then remove pan from heat and let sit for 12 minutes. Drain, then plunge eggs into ice water or run under cold water for a few minutes. Peel eggs when cool enough to handle. This, too, can be done ahead of time. Cook, then peel eggs and store in refrigerator. Slice just before serving.

Prepare steak as you desire. I sprinkled with steak seasoning before grilling to desired doneness. Let rest before cutting into strips.

Divide spinach between four large bowls or plates. Top each with 1/4 cup crispy baked garbanzo beans, 1/4 of the prepared steak, 1 sliced hard-boiled egg, 2 tablespoons each pistachios and dried cranberries and 1 ounce crumbled goal cheese. (I had to use feta since my grocery store didn't have chevre.)

For the vinaigrette: Combine all ingredients in a jar or a bowl. Shake or whisk to combine. Taste and adjust seasonings, if necessary. Pour over salads and serve.


***

I think the Orange Vinaigrette on this main dish salad would be tasty as well.

***
Today, I'm linked to Wake Up Wednesdays with Wichita blogger Ashley's Kitchen Meets Girl blog. Check out what else is cooking in kitchens across the country by clicking on the link.

***
I'm also linked to the Country Fair Blog Hop hosted by Tales of a Kansas Farm Mom, Dirt Road Charm and High Heels and Shot Gun Shells. Click on the links to check out their blogs. 

4 comments:

  1. Stopping by from the Country Fair Blog Hop. This looks really tasty! Thanks for sharing. It'll perfect for supper when I don't want to heat up the house and can grill the steak!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be appearing on our dinner table again. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Gosh, this sure looks wonderful!! I love fresh, healthy dishes like this. I learned something new today, too... didn't know garbanzo beans and chickpeas were the same thing. Interesting! :) Will have to pull the grill out one of these nights and make this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We really liked it. I need to do the garbanzo beans again for other salads. They don't take any time at all. I just need to do it. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete