Wednesday, December 16, 2015

REJOICE: Beauty at 360 Degrees

Our house silhouetted at sunrise, December 8, 2015
The LORD by wisdom founded the earth.
By understanding He established the heavens. 
Proverbs 3:19

I am often in the basement before the sun comes up. I get up early and do my devotions. Then I head to the basement to check email, post my blog and work on my daily KFRM radio report.

Through a narrow basement window, I can sometimes catch a glimpse of sky as the morning light causes the darkness to recede in the east.

On a recent morning, as I refreshed my cup of coffee upstairs, I saw the soft pastels of a December sunrise filter through the back porch. And I knew it was going to be worth a trip to my sunrise tree to watch the day arrive.

To the east at my sunrise tree
I could have easily missed the moment. My computer doesn't face the window, so I don't always pay attention, as I methodically cross off my to-do list.  And, on a December morning, it seems the to-do list is especially long with holiday tasks mingling with the regular old run-of-the-mill chores.
Jesus is near. Despite the busy-ness, the pressure, and the assault of our senses that so often passes for Christmas, we have the promise of scripture that … Jesus is near. …Then we will remember to REJOICE…..and again…..REJOICE.
From a United Methodist Board of Discipleship Advent devotional
It was easy to rejoice on that December morning. No matter which direction I turned, there was beauty in the sky.  The sunrise tree was silhouetted as I turned toward the east.

But there was beauty all around ...

To the south ...
To the west ...
And to the north ...
I drove toward a nearby windmill for another view, but was distracted instead by a neighbor's irrigation system silhouetted by the sky to the west.
This time of year, there are plenty of distractions. It seems there is always too much to do. There are presents to wrap, treats to make, a Christmas letter to pen and letters to mail. It can seem overwhelming. Throw in some meetings and just regular, everyday life. But maybe it's a little easier on a day when I pause to remember what it's all about. And I rejoice in the miracle of a new day.

A Time to Think

To me, every hour of the day and night 
is an unspeakably perfect miracle.
 –Walt Whitman, poet

A Time to Act

Approach today with a grateful heart.

A Time to Pray

Dear Lord, thank You for giving us
 a fresh start each day to begin anew.
(from Guideposts.org)
***
Today I'm linked to Tell His Story at Jennifer Dukes Lee's blog. Click on the link to check out what other writers are talking about during this Advent season, including Jennifer's reflection on her finally becoming Mary in the Sunday School program at church.

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. This is the tree I was talking about when I saw your calendar cover!

      Delete